Does It Matter Where I Buy Plants From?

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a fully cycled tank with a lot of fish. So far I have purchased all my fish from the same place, because the water parameters are similar to my own tank. I want to convert from plastic plants to live plants...Just Jungle Val and some Anubias to start, but my LFS is so slooooow in ordering it. Can I buy plants from another store? Like petsmart or petco? Or is that a bad idea?

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been solely buying my plants in the tubes from Petsmart to hopefully avoid pest snails. Then do a bleach dip before adding to tank.

If you buy a plant from a smaller LFS that's in water with fish and snails, you running a higher risk IMO of getting pests or other unwanted nasties.

Either way, I recommend disinfecting prior to introducing it to the tank.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can buy plants anywhere but the variety online is much better than a single store can offer.

Bleach dip can be harsh on plants. I use a strong alum dip and 3+ day quarantine but potassium permanganate is a more popular choice. HERE is a good list of options with instructions.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, I don't recommend buying plants from an lfs as the plants might be covered with pest snails and algae. However, I do recommend buying plants at Petsmart and online. If you're interested on where to buy plants online, you can purchase them on ebay. I usually got my plants from a vendor called PlantsFactory on ebay.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 6 14.3%

Top Bottom