Does It Matter If I Get Males Or Females?

Discussion in 'Harlequin Rasbora' started by Susiefoo, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Susiefoo

SusiefooWell Known MemberMember

I'm planning to get a school of about 10 harlequins once my tank is fully cycled, and was wondering if I need to get a certain ratio of males to females to keep everything peaceful and happy, or if it doesn't matter.

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

No, it really doesn't matter.
    My CPD are all both gender.

3. Simply Fish

Simply FishValued MemberMember

I have a small school of harlequins, and frankly don't know any of their genders! There is minimal chasing, no nipping, and they are all really healthy. You'll be fine! They are super active fish, and really entertaining to watch! What size is your tank?

4. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

I kept 8x harlequins in a 29 gal several years ago - never had any idea what gender any of them were - it didn't seem to matter. I guess it's possible that if you end up with a lot of males and just 1-2 females, the males could really pester them and stress them out.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Gender doesn't matter in harlequin rasboras. Though, when keeping cichlids, livebearers, gouramis, etc.; it sometimes does.

6. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thanks all!

My tank is 25 gallons and quite long (80cm). The only other inhabitants are male guppies. Obviously for guppies the M/F balance is hugely important in a mixed tank so I worried that it might be the same for harlequins but glad to know it's not!

Really looking forward to getting them :)

7. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I feel that Harlequins are very underrated. I have a school of 6, and have 2 more in quarantine to join them in a week. I love them. Very peaceful fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

For those of you who have had Harlequins for a while, how long do they tend to survive? Assuming they are well cared for with good water conditions etc.

9. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

Sex doesn't matter with harlequins, they can live up to 8 years but majority of the time will live 6 years roughly.

but males will display their best colours as they compete with one other for female attention.

10. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Ah brilliant, I was hoping for some longer lived fish (I heard guppies from LFS these days only last about 2 years even in good conditions). 6 years sounds awesome :)

11. JesseMoreira06

I don't keep any guppies personally, but I've researched in the past that they can live 2-3 years , apenrently having only all males or females is best to prolong their lifespans , they say reproducing reduces the life span of not only female but also male guppies. Is it true? no idea.

12. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Ooh even better! Mine are celibate by necessity ;) so maybe they will live longer. I've heard such conflicting things about their lifespan.

13. JesseMoreira06

Theirs alot of conflicting information about so many species in the hobby. Always best to check and double check before doing anything.

14. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

I got my rasboras! 5 of them (I plan to add another 5 next week if parameters stay stable). They are fantastic, I love them already :)

They only thing is they are SO hyperactive - literally zooming around the tank going nuts. Mostly schooling but also doing their own thing before coming back together. Is this normal? I'm actually worried they are going to exhaust themselves. I fed them earlier and they ate enthusiastically, which is a good sign right? Or is it the excessive activity a sign of stress?

15. Simply Fish

Simply FishValued MemberMember

Don't worry! Yes, they are usually very active, and they may just be getting used to their new home. I have one harlequin that NEVER schools with the rest, and just does his own thing. They should calm down over time, but there is no need to be worried.

16. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thank you, that's a relief :)

My male guppies are very chilled out and are just hovering around, looking bemused as they whiz past ;)

17. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

You can sex them by body weight. Males are more slender, with a smaller 'keel'. Females have deeper and wider bodies.

18. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Same here. I started with 4, now have 6, and 2 more in quarantine to add later. They're always pretty energetic. They spread out individually, and group back up from time to time. I also have one that stays off on his own more, but not because of aggression. Think he's the oldest male I have. The younger 2 try to stick with him sometimes, leaving the 3 oldest females in their own group. I love to watch them. Especially at feeding time, the way they grab and dive. I would agree though, sex ratios don't really matter. If you want to know what you have though, I agree with the information from @NavigatorBlack. As they get older you can also go by the shape of the black triangle, but that's harder to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice