Does it make sense to pump tank water through the RO system?

Linda1234

I'm thinking of setting up a drip system will i pump 1 to 2 water of gallons per hour into the aquarium. The question is does it make any sense to take the out flow from the aquarium and send it threw the ro system to reuse? This presume the ro will purify the water without causing the filter system in the ro system to wear out unreasonably fast...

MacZ

Some saltwater geeks do that to safe water, collect the result and remineralize and resalt it.
The question here is: Will the RO be immediately put back into the tank or into a storage container?
If the former the tank would probably become hard to survive even for blackwater species. If the latter: Go for it. Just considering how much waste water the units produce, do you have the amounts of water that it really pays off?

PAcanis

That was my first concern, the RO will turn most of what runs through it into waste water, so what goes back into the tank is not going to equal what was taken out.

coralbandit

Clearly aquarium water is dirtier then our home water sources no ?
The unit will be working harder and you will need to change filters and backwash more often for little if any return .
Depending on the quality of RO unit [ most get junk] you can burn 2-10 gallons of waste for every good gallon you get ..

Linda1234

Some saltwater geeks do that to safe water, collect the result and remineralize and resalt it.
The question here is: Will the RO be immediately put back into the tank or into a storage container?
If the former the tank would probably become hard to survive even for blackwater species. If the latter: Go for it. Just considering how much waste water the units produce, do you have the amounts of water that it really pays off?
It goes into a storage container. The water going into the tank would be a mix of ro water and filtered (to remove chlorine and metals) water.

the units should be high quality (though exact models have not yet been chosen); the kind that a shop would use (we haven't look into models yet - but the home should have 2000-3000 gallons of aquarium space - the largest being 450 gallon).

Still coralbandit suggest it might not be worth it - and i should use the run off for irrigation/watering plants and not bother recycling it for the aquarium.
--
If it helps much tap water here is kh 3 and gh 7; for the tanks where i need ro water I intend to run around kh 1 gh 3 (ram tank); kh 2 gh 4 (angel/clown loach); kh 0 gh 0-1 (low ph tank); ... the guppies and swordtail will stay in kh 3 gh 7.

I was just thinking maybe it would be good to reuse the water but maybe i was overthinking.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
JoeyG2100
Replies
Views