Does It Ever Get Easy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bluesman77, Apr 7, 2017.

1. B

Bluesman77 Valued Member Member

I'm think I am about to give up the hobby after three months. Cycling was stressful, but it was rewarding when I put our first fish in when the levels got right. I had a couple of weeks after being fully stocked until I watched 15 fish die in one day. I've done frequent water changes, check parameters every other day, but still managed to get Ick in my tank. I wanted to have a tank for enjoyment and relaxation, but now I can't sleep wondering what I am going to wake up to tomorrow. It's been a very heartbreaking and discouraging. I knew it was going to be a lot of work. I accepted that and enjoyed taking care of my fish. Despite my best efforts, I failed. Does it ever get easier?

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

It does! I am sorry to hear you have had so many struggles :( Do you have any idea the source of your ich? It could have just come in from a sick fish you added :(
    What size tank do you have? Wondering because believe it or not (at least to a point) larger is easier.

3. bubblegum-heart

bubblegum-heart Valued Member Member

In a way, yes, but also no. Does it ever get easier when you lose a fish? No, that part never really gets easier. But with time, experience, and research the other stuff gets a little easier. :) (Eventually. At some point.) That being said, I'm sorry you've lost so many fish in such a short time frame. :( I hope things turn around and get better for you soon!

4. Igor95

Igor95 Well Known Member Member

@Bluesman77, it took me 3 months to finally get my cycle to finish, if that makes you feel any better. As for the ich, you probably just added fish to your main tank without qt'ing. Don't give up, take every mistake as a lesson and experience. Best of luck

5. L

Levibeast Valued Member Member

What fish did you have?

6. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

My first fish I lost was my betta by my own fault and I was a MESS. I did keep the tank because there were other fish in there (that had tormented the betta) but eventually did shut it down for a few years. I've gotten back in it and I can confidently say I will never shut down my tanks again. It is hard, twice I've introduced ich into my tanks that wiped them out.

One thing I would say is patience is an absolute must. And coming from someone with a healthy dose of "ooh pretty must have" it can be hard. But loosing fish is worse. One thing that I've started doing is I often stop at my LFS and just check out the fish. Make a mental note of the ones that have ich, which ones look healthy, that kind of thing. That way you know that the fish have been healthy. I still have lost fish but in the end, it is still worth it.

quarantining is HUGE. By not doing it you risk spreading infection. Now I will admit, I rarely quartine because I will have been watching the fish AT the pet store for a few weeks. (They all know me by now) the other thing is, some fish just are not as hardy. What kind of fish did you have? You also could have added too many at once. Again, start slow. (Horrible, I know) and sometimes you just have really bad luck the first time around. I bought a pictus catfish and the first one I bought wiped out my tank with ich and the second one I bought I QT'd but he still made my tank sick.

And if all else, a break won't hurt anyone and when your up for it again, take another shot. That's what I ended up doing and now I'm in it for life. (Not counting the money I've put twoard them...)

7. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

'You need to take your time, no matter what your test say most tanks are not all that stable for 6 months. And there"s always a chance of getting ich or some other crap. I killed more shrimp than I'd like to admit! The tank would be doing great the shrimp would start breeding and then for no reason the tank would roll. All the test said every thing was great but all the shrimp still died. As my tanks aged I started to keep shrimp alive to the point that I had to start selling them to keep the population down. You should always keep some ich meds on hand, because you will get ich again and the sooner you treat, the easier it is to cure. The whole moral of this story is that it's a great hobby, and if you take your time adding fish, you'll be happy that you stayed in the hobby.

8. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

It does, and it makes those enjoyable moments SO worth it. Just hang in there

9. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would say that the first 3-6 months are the hardest, especially when you are trying to stock your fish. Fish can come in diseased, with ich and all kinds of other parasites. It's really discouraging, but once it is all handled, it's a lot easier!

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Most of us have been where you are. Fish keeping is a rather complex undertaking. More so than the pet stores let on. But the good news is that we are in the golden age of fish keeping. With the internet and access to Fishlore along with advances in tech things will get better if you hang in there.

11. OP
    OP
    B

Bluesman77 Valued Member Member

Thank you all for the encouragement. It helps. I now have two Dalmatian mollies, a pear gourami and six glo tetras left. Going to do my best to save them!

12. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Prayers for you and your finny friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice