does it ever end?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by lyndra, Apr 2, 2010.

1. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

Last weekend when I went to do my normal water changes I discovered that my syphon no longer works.. the cat decided that it was a great toy and now there are teethmarks all through it.

I huffed and grumpled and glared at the cat and did my water changes without doing a vaccum and hoped that it would be fine until I had a chance to get to the LFS (I work an hours drive away from home so I'm 'work occupied' from 8:30am-7pm each weekday - no chance to get to the LFS)

I have been testing my tank to ensure that the lack of a vaccum for a week wouldn't seriously affect the water qual and the tests are consistant and are still the same as in my profile (0,0, just under 5) and have been doing water changes as per normal -just with a small bowl and bailing the water in and out of the tank. I just wasn't able to do the vac last weekend.

I visually examine all my tanks and fish on a daily basis so I can catch things early and this evening I saw little whiteworms on the glass in Firesong's tank... we have a case of planaria!!!

After I stopped swearing I tested the water again.. yep it's all fine but there is a little bit of matter in the gravel that hasn't been vaccumed up because I am syphonless and hoseless (well I have a hose, but it's full of holes and is pretty useless)

First thing tomorrow I will be heading to th LFS when they open to get a new syphon.

How do I get rid of planaria? I can see about 30 of them and they are tiny - Firesong is pigging on them so I will probably hold off from feeding him for a couple of days - I suspect that family have been feeding him while I've been at work (Firesong's tank is in the family room and sometimes my family feed him.. and I go along afterwards and scoop out 10-15 pellets and give themthe lecture again) so will be watching the tank.. and them, extra carefully.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:rolleyes: Doersn't seem to ever end, does it? lol

Extra water changes, gravel vacs and feeding less will help get rid of planaria.

3. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I don't use a gravel vac in my 5gal (and my divided 10gals) tank because until very recently (Sunday when I got my new tank and a small gravel vac came with it) I only had gravel vacs sized for my big tanks. I use a turkey baster on all my tanks under 10gal and it works just fine. I use it in my divided 10gals too because it's hard to get the bigger gravel vacs into the divided apartments.

4. OP
    OP
    lyndra

thanks Lucy- that just confirms that my plan of attack is correct... LFS here I come!

I will be getting a new vac, the one I had is only about an inch across and is great for getting into tight spots and works really well because it suck up so little water at once - I can vaccum everything before I run out of water.

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I think planaria are kinda like MTS, feed a bit less and they'll go away.

6. OP
    OP
    lyndra

my bettas only get 2-3 pellets twice a day, that's one of the reasons why I was so conused when I saw the litlw wriggly worms and why I suspect that they are being fed by someone else as well - they shouldn't be overfed

7. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Are you sure they are planaria, then? From what I've seen, planaria are flat and brown. Your description sounds like nematodes. Could you maybe post a picture?

8. OP
    OP
    lyndra

They look pretty much exactly like the image shown on

at the moment the ones I'm having trouble with are pretty short but that could be becaue I think I caught this early - they weren't there 48 hours ago.

I'll get a photo later.

9. OP
    OP
    lyndra

I got a new syphon today (and a toy mousie for the cat so she can stop chewing on my aquarium equipment) - water changes have been done on all tanks... it looks like Firesong has polished off most of the little wormies because I couldn't see any when I went to do the waterchange but I'm going to stick with daily WC for a while. I haven't fed FS today but doesn't appear to be doing his 'ZOMG!! there you are!! I'm starving' trick this evening so I may just fast him over easter and pop a bit of a pea in tomorrow as routine.

I was right, i checked with mum and my father has been helping out and feeding FS in the evening - because Squirt is in my room he doesn't get the second dinner.. that would explain why only one tank was having problems

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice