Does Cuttlebone Increase Ph?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by LeticiaM, Nov 3, 2018.

1. LeticiaM

LeticiaMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +133
    Experience:
    1 year
    I am trying to add a calcium source to my tanks for my snails.

I split a cuttlebone between two of my tanks as a test- 1/2 in my 2.5g pond snail tank, and 1/2 in my 5.5g qt/ramshorn snail tank. The pH went from 8.0-8.2 to 8.2-8.4 in less than a week.

I should be adding calcium to my 2 Betta tanks...one with a netrite, one with a ramshorn. Can I add cuttlebone and the pH raises in those tans, is that safe for the bettas? I understand the pH is already at the top end of recommended range. Currently 8.0-8.2 in both of those tanks. If it's not safe to do that, how else can I get calcium to the snails?

Thank you for your help!!

2. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    I doubt the cuttlebone is adding to it. But you could experiment. Test your water pure in a bowl, then add the cuttlebone...wait a few days, then test again.
    Sometimes fresh tap and rested water could also have a different PH, so do those tests too.

3. Zigi Zig

Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +468
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello
    You can use either one as well lime rocks or crushed corals will contains carbonate, which when dissolved in water increases both the GH (from calcium) and KH (from carbonate) components, Keep in mind you have to add some natural Driftwood to your aquarium will safely lower its pH levels. Like Peat Moss, driftwood will release tannins into your tank's water, reducing the pH to finding correct balance.. there is nothing wrong to keep Ph level 8 or little over 8 witch means your aquarium become more alkaline however as most tropical fish thrive on natural PH of 6.5 to 7.5 depend on species most betta fish prefer natural PH ...

4. OP
    OP
    LeticiaM

LeticiaMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +133
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you @Kathryn Crook ! That's a great idea, I will set up a little bowl and see if the pH increases. Thanks for the suggestion !

Thank you @Zigi Zig !! I have been debating adding driftwood to my tank for a while...I added chola wood and I really liked the addition of tannins to the water. So hard to pay $20+ for a piece of wood though!! And buying online I won't get to pick my piece! Gah!!

Thank you both for all your help!!!

5. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +413
    Experience:
    2 years
    Those vacation feeders are made from calcium. They sell a six pack of tiny ones at Kroger or Walmart, pretty inexpensive. My snails and pleco attached themselves to the vacation feeder pretty quickly lol

Do beware, if you use the vacation feeder, your fish may or may not eat from it, so you'll have to keep an eye on that to make sure you don't over/under feed, and you'll have to keep an eye on your water levels due to extra nutrients being added to the water.

Become a Fishlore Member