Does Cleo look pregnant?

GraceEssa

This is the picture from 2 days earlier

And this is from just now

Does she look bigger or is it just me? Can't tell if it's just her body shape or if she's really pregnant since she's a balloon molly. ??? Answers appreciated

KittyFish62

Possibly.

GraceEssa

Help???

So I've been taking pictures every weekish for about 3 weeks and I can't tell if my balloon belly is getting ready to have a fry or not!? Ik everyone keeps saying to see when she squares off but I honestly can't tell if anyone could tell me, it would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!!!

(bout 3 weeks ago)

(1 1/2 weeks ago)

(Today)

FeederGuppies

Be careful, live-bearers breed FAST, faster than rabbits! I guarantee, if you have a male in the tank she will have lots of fry! (Mollies produce a lot of waste too, so I'd be careful about having males and females producing lots of babies.)

GraceEssa

Thanks! So do you think she'll have the fry soon? I have a gourami that will probably eat most of the fry and my friend has a tank and is waiting on my fish to have a fry to see if I have any survivors to give her. I also have another tank but it's currently occupied by my betta.

Platylover

Honestly, with balloons it's hard to tell and you may not be able to. They do give birth to 50-100 fry every month for 6-12 months after their last contact with a male, so keep that in mind. Is he analfin split? From the second photo she almost looks like a late blooming male, but it may just be the photo.

GraceEssa

I'm always seeing them mating. If she was pregnant would they still mate ?

Platylover

Oh yes, males don't care. I believe it'a usually the male who breeds most recently has more fry? I could be wrong about that though.

GraceEssa

Ok I have only one male because I don't want to have competition for the female thanks for help

FeederGuppies

Even if your gourami eats most of the fry, some will survive. As mentioned by Platylover, she will have 50-100 fry every month. So, even if you can rehome some of the fry, you might find yourself over whelmed with fry, someday, lol.

Just keep in mind mollies produce a lot of waste, and some can grow quite large (though I don't think balloon mollies grow that big).

GraceEssa

Ok thanks for all the advice! I do have a backup plan if my tank starts to get overwhelmed I'd just move my mollies to a brand new tank and then in my old tank leave my DG and guppy and get some more guppies (don't have the money for new tank ATM)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Platylover
  • Question
Replies
Views
MomOfLiveBearers
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies