Does anyone use petroleum jelly to adhere backgrounds?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I purchased a new background for one of my tanks and whilst searching on search engines I found that some people use petroleum jelly to adhere backgrounds. One of my backgrounds is taped and the other I used the sea view gel. I was wondering how petroleum jelly would compare to sea view gel. I like the gel but I don't have any right now and would like to put my back ground on today.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope you mean on the outside of the tank LOL... I would think it wouldnt work too well considering the thickness of petroleum jelly would be affected by heat, it kind of 'melts' the warmer it gets. The other thing is it would be nearly impossible to ever get off of your glass after you put it on there... which could make it quite difficult if you ever have to move the tank.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't use petroleum jelly but I know that many people do.

I prefer painting the tank or using adhesive backgrounds. Painting the tank is easiest IMO, but that doesn't help much if your tank is already set up.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, it would be the outside. lol It seemed some people were really for it so was kinda interested. My understanding is that you put it on like the gel. You squeegee out the excess like when doing window tint etc. and remove air bubbles. It's for a 10 gallon that is set up already and currently has a black trash bag background. The background I bought is not a solid color. Maybe I'll just tape it temporarily and see how I feel about it...maybe buy gel later on. I don't want to get into the petroleum only to find I don't like it. I got the background when I was out of town.

Thanks.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use a product called seaview to put the background on. Works VERY well.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Jaysee....Yeah the seaview is great, I really like how it worked on my 20gallon's background. Like I said I will probably just tape it (because I'm being impatient lol) till I get some seaview.

alex29

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When using seaview do you tape around the edges???
I've tried on two seperate tanks with no success. 10 gallon still has background on it, corners starting to curl apart. My 55 I got an air bubble a couple weeks in and couldn't SQUEEZE it out.Kept coming back!!
I got so frustrated looking at it,
I tore it off then washed the glass to remove the gel and roll-painted it Black.
2 coats with a foam roller(4") dry between coats. Happy as a clam.

Stone73

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used vegetable oil, and then taped the edges with regular tape.

Kay W.

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I put fabric on the back of my 55 gallon tank. Just added Velcro on the fabric in the corners and center at the top and add it to the back side of the tank. It can be removed any time needed or change the fabric to what ever you want.;D of course it works if you can access the back of the tank easy.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use petroleum jelly and it works fine. You just have to smooth it out well. The edges peel a bit and need to be pushed back on every so often. I guess I could get around that by taping them as well. I haven't found Seaview for sale in Australia and it didn't seem worth it to pay for shippage from the States. I'd love to try it though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom