Does Anyone Know Where I Could Get Smooth Black Gravel?

1. Over It Well Known Member Member

I just got some more Corydoras and I want to switch my brown gravel for some black. Problem is I can only find smooth brown gravel like what I already have and all the black gravel is much courser and sharp.
    Does anyone know where I could find some that is smooth?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. matsungit Well Known Member Member

You can try your local hardware (Home Depot) or garden supply (OSH or Armstrong) for smooth river stones or polished pebbles. They're pretty popular for landscaping.

4. Is Fluval Stratum out of your price range? It's one of the softest substrates I've ever used, but it's a little pricey. However it's also perfect for planted tanks and shrimp depending on what you're planning on doing with your tanks.

5. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Does your lfs not carry black gravel? If not try any store that carries fish supplies or like others said, the hardware store. Becareful of any additives or chemicals

6. Over It Well Known Member Member

I have never seen Fluval Stratum before. TBF I haven't really either. I'll check it out.

Yes they have black gravel, but I wanted something really smooth. I don't like sand and I needed something that would be ok for my Corydoras.

7. Over It Well Known Member Member

Fluval Stratum looks great! Wish I had seen this sooner. I am worried it might not be good for my tanks though as I have to use Alkaline Buffer to raise my KH and Replenish to raise my GH.

8. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I use CaribSea Flora Max for my 10 gallons, which is crushed lava rock, and my pygmy corydoras just do fine. They forage and everything and no barbells have every been injured