Does Anyone Know What's Wrong With My Betta?

1. K

KylieKay New Member Member

A while ago I posted about suspecting our betta of having cotton tail disease. His fin had a fluffy ball in the middle, then that fell off, and although I spotted a couple tiny white bits at the end of one or two other fins.. they didn't get bigger, and he doesn't have any noticeable fluff on any of his body right now. We went away for a week and left him with people who looked after him, but they worried about him because he wasn't eating, which as far as I recall he was doing okay with before we left - if just a bit less than normal. We got back 4 days ago, and he's come back home but he's still not really eating. First days he was just sort of sitting on the bottom.

Now, it's winter here. We suspected he might be cold so we put the heater in. (first at 20degrees C, and up to 24 today) He perked up a bit initially at the heater, then he started hanging near the heater, and now he just sits around the tank around the top but not necessarily near the heater. And he wont eat, and he isn't his usual self where he swims up to people.. he just pays no attention to anything.

I don't know what's wrong with him... any ideas?

2. Betta Gremlin

Betta Gremlin Valued Member Member

Any images? Tank size and perameters?

3. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

what are the other water parameters.

OR

How old is he?
    Maybe he is just old and its time to say goodbye.

4. OP
    OP
    K

We got him end of last year from a pet shop.. not sure how old they are to start with there.
    His tank is a 9L cube.

5. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Could you post pics? Was he already adult when you got him? How long has he been in cold water? Do you have a filter?

6. OP
    OP
    K

7. OP
    OP
    K

Sorry, forgot the other questions. The weather wasn't too bad before we left, but the water might have been colder than what he needed for a while. But the week we were gone it turned pretty cold and miserable. So at least a week where it was probably quite cold. We don't have a filter. And he's grown since we got him.. I think he was young.

8. Gypsy13

Hubby asks what are the white things on his head?

9. Gypsy13

Do you have well or tap water?

10. OP
    OP
    K

Oh, that's just on top of the water. And it's tap water.
    I did spot little dimple looking things between his eye and mouth just now, which I just searched and could be 'hole in head'.. but if it's partly from poor nutrition then maybe it's because he's not eating.

11. Gypsy13

Do you use a water conditioner and if so, which one? Do you have a test kit to test the water for ammonia? How often are you doing water changes? How do the dimples on his head look now? Any worse than earlier?

12. OP
    OP
    K

Yes, an 'Aqua One' conditioner. No, no test kit. He had a tank clean before we went, but since we were trying to get his water warm when we got back, we didn't do much. Changed out a bit of his water yesterday and added some of the conditioner.
    The holes look the same as earlier, really.
    He's been more active today and yesterday. He took in one pellet of food and spat it back out. And there's a small bubble nest.

13. Gypsy13

You may want to take some of the water to LFS to get it tested. Main thing is clean warm water.