Does Anyone Know What This Might Be?

siameseAmethyst

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought 3 albino corys on a Thurs, they seemed to be doing fine, eating and swimming round peacefully, then Sun night the biggest one maybe 2 inches was floating at the top gasping and upside down. I took him out and put him in a seperate container to keep an eye on him, he was doing that screaching noise in distress and it breathing really fast. His stomach seemed bloated with air.
20 gallon tank, ph was about 6.2 I know it was low but I was informed they were alright with it that low. I was going to try and gradually bring it up when I decided what other fish to put in.
I didnt test other water parameters but it was all fresh water before I put them in on the Thurs (was going to try a fish in cycle )
You can see his stomach is slightly distended in the second pic (Sun night)
He had died by Sun morning and had red veins around the anus area. No other fish in the tank. I put the other 2 in with my Betta on Sun night and both were alive Mon but one that was breathing rapidly died while i was at work. The last one is looking healthy and well cleaning up after my not so sloppy Betta.
20180429_205853.jpg
20180429_205731.jpg
20180430_050842.jpg
20180430_050852.jpg

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
siameseAmethyst said:
I bought 3 albino corys on a Thurs, they seemed to be doing fine, eating and swimming round peacefully, then Sun night the biggest one maybe 2 inches was floating at the top gasping and upside down. I took him out and put him in a seperate container to keep an eye on him, he was doing that screaching noise in distress and it breathing really fast. His stomach seemed bloated with air.
20 gallon tank, ph was about 6.2 I know it was low but I was informed they were alright with it that low. I was going to try and gradually bring it up when I decided what other fish to put in.
I didnt test other water parameters but it was all fresh water before I put them in on the Thurs (was going to try a fish in cycle )
You can see his stomach is slightly distended in the second pic (Sun night)
He had died by Sun morning and had red veins around the anus area. No other fish in the tank. I put the other 2 in with my Betta on Sun night and both were alive Mon but one that was breathing rapidly died while i was at work. The last one is looking healthy and well cleaning up after my not so sloppy Betta.View attachment 437522View attachment 437523View attachment 437524View attachment 437525
Wow the coolouration pf that Cory looks way off. I have albino cories and the only time I’ve seen their skin this red was when I accidentally put them in a methylene and malachite dip cause one got cut and their skin got irritated is your water dechlorinated no other medications? It looks like it has also been cut

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A few points of interest
-what substrate are you using for them?
-what are you feeding them?
-did you use a dechlorinator?
Also do you know the temp of the water? Unfortunately I have seen corys react badly to ammonia and what not. Perhaps this is what caused the redness?

siameseAmethyst

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes :/ the guy at the aquarium said they are really hardy. I regret it now... but still I put them in Thurs night and they didn't show any signs of suffering until Sun night and it seemed sudden. Well when I first added them the first 2 nights I noticed them quickly swimming to the top for air, I looked it up and then added another filter "aquaone maci internal filter" for extra oxygen, I then had that along with a bubble wall and a large double sponge filter. It seemed to help, I didnt see them doing it as often.
That one only got that red on Sun night.

kayla.s said:
A few points of interest
Also do you know the temp of the water? Unfortunately I have seen corys react badly to ammonia and what not. Perhaps this is what caused the redness?
I've got black sand in the tank and I used API stress coat to condition the tank and had it running for about 3 days before putting the corys in. I fed them a mix of whats in the pic, they seemed to like the wafers
Screenshot_20180513-235231.jpg
20180513_234230.jpg
20180513_235447.jpg

kayla.s said:
A few points of interest
Well I thought I had the water set for 26 degrees, because I'm still new to fish keeping I didn't realize that some aquarium heaters need to be calibrated :/ I partly blame the people at the aquarium for not letting me know about the calibration function because its not clear on the packaging, well it wasn't clear for me, I had no idea there was such a thing, I may have fiddled with it and accidentally put the temp to high... I didn't keep a thermometer in that tank and didn't think to check it when I took them all out because I didn't find out about the calibration setting until 2 wks after. Its been 3 wks since it happened.
Since then I found a reliable person to give me some bio media, I've put a spray bar on the big filter, taken the bubble wall out, and I've calibrated the heater to 25 degrees, I put 4 purple harlequin rasboras in a wk ago and they seem to be doing well, am going to get maybe 5 more, I had 5 but 2 jumped out of the bucket I had them in before the tank :/ put them both back in as soon as I found them on the floor and only one revived then 1 became stuck behind the filter and died so I actually have 3 now :/

Neutral-Waterinos said:
Wow the coolouration pf that Cory looks way off. I have albino cories and the only time I’ve seen their skin this red was when I accidentally put them in a methylene and malachite dip cause one got cut and their skin got irritated is your water dechlorinated no other medications? It looks like it has also been cut
Well the first 2 pic was when I first scooped him out, the second 2 was when he had passed away the nxt morning, so he can't have gotten a cut in the container I had him in, the black sand I had in the tank seems soft enough... and I read up online as much as I possibly could to get the best black sand origionally I was going to put kuhli loaches in there

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can't see how fine the sand is from that picture sadly, but if it's quite fine particles then I doubt that's the problem. Just also keep in mind when feeding them that corys are mainly carnivorous. Now that you have cycled media in the tank, maybe give it another shot and it will go better this time round

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your corys will eat the algae wafers but it really isn't a good food for them. They really need a meatier diet to thrive. Something like shrimp pellets would be a much better choice for them. I also feed Hikari Sinking wafers to my corys. My corys also clean up all the tetramin tropical crisps I feed my other fish when they make it to the bottom of the tank and occasionally they get freeze dried blood worms.

Do you have the same substrate in your Betta tank? The black gravel/sand is very pretty but it is possible that it might not be best for corys. It does look like these little guys have abraded abdomens but it is also possible all the damage was caused by having them in a cycling tank. Sadly for them they really aren't the best choice for a fish in cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom