Does anyone know what this fish is?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Elefante514, Jul 23, 2015.

1. E

Elefante514 New Member Member

Hello, I've inherited my grandmother's fish tank and I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish this is. It's maybe 7 inches long, and a shimmery gold/peach color with more reddish/orange color on fins. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Thanks for your help! It's living with a silver dollar fish and a couple cat fish now. I believe I remember my grandmother saying that she couldn't add anything else to the tank because this thing would eat it, but I'm not positive.

Attached Files:

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    That's a big fish, I believe that's a Golden Tinfoil Barb. What tank size is that? These guys need a pretty big tank

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Agreed, and both it and the dollar should be in a group of their own kind.

4. OP
    OP
    E

I believe it's 55 gallons (48x 18x 21) It's the same tank and everything my grandmother has had for years. We just moved everything to my house. I went to the aquarium store in town and one person said tin foil barb and another said goldfish :-/ I didn't think it was a goldfish but so hard to figure out what it is when browsing through pictures online when there are soooo many types. Thanks!

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

That's actually a 75g, same dimensions as mine. A 55 is 48x13x21.

6. OP
    OP
    E

Good to know, thanks! We do not know a lot about fish, but are trying to figure it all out.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Any questions, feel free to ask. Someone will help you out. It's like a tech support call center :)

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Is the pleco in the pic a common? Unfortunately it, and the tinfoil barb, will get way too big for this size tank. I would rehome them and then get more silver dolllars, for a total of at least 6 dollars.

9. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It looks like 2 common plecos and another catfish in there too. Do you know what kind of catfish it is?

And that is a very nice looking tin foil barb. How is it doing? Is it skittish at all?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice