Does anyone know what this fish is?

Elefante514

Hello, I've inherited my grandmother's fish tank and I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish this is. It's maybe 7 inches long, and a shimmery gold/peach color with more reddish/orange color on fins.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Thanks for your help! It's living with a silver dollar fish and a couple cat fish now. I believe I remember my grandmother saying that she couldn't add anything else to the tank because this thing would eat it, but I'm not positive.

AquaticBrandon

Welcome to Fishlore!
That's a big fish, I believe that's a Golden Tinfoil Barb. What tank size is that? These guys need a pretty big tank

hampalong

Agreed, and both it and the dollar should be in a group of their own kind.

Elefante514

I believe it's 55 gallons (48x 18x 21) It's the same tank and everything my grandmother has had for years. We just moved everything to my house. I went to the aquarium store in town and one person said tin foil barb and another said goldfish :-/ I didn't think it was a goldfish but so hard to figure out what it is when browsing through pictures online when there are soooo many types. Thanks!

Dom90

Elefante514 said:
I believe it's 55 gallons (48x 18x 21) It's the same tank and everything my grandmother has had for years. We just moved everything to my house. I went to the aquarium store in town and one person said tin foil barb and another said goldfish :-/ I didn't think it was a goldfish but so hard to figure out what it is when browsing through pictures online when there are soooo many types. Thanks!
That's actually a 75g, same dimensions as mine. A 55 is 48x13x21.

Elefante514

Good to know, thanks! We do not know a lot about fish, but are trying to figure it all out.

Dom90

Any questions, feel free to ask. Someone will help you out. It's like a tech support call center

Anders247

Welcome to fishlore!
Is the pleco in the pic a common? Unfortunately it, and the tinfoil barb, will get way too big for this size tank. I would rehome them and then get more silver dolllars, for a total of at least 6 dollars.

BDpups

It looks like 2 common plecos and another catfish in there too. Do you know what kind of catfish it is?

And that is a very nice looking tin foil barb. How is it doing? Is it skittish at all?

Latest threads

Top Bottom