Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Tank This Is?

Albert Nieto

I came across this tank, its glass, 36" L x 12" W x 18" H. It has an open center the full length of the tank with a glass platform on each side of the opening on top. I'm trying to find out what kind of a tank this is and if it can be used as a main aquarium tank? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Albert

Attachments

• 20180126_223641.jpg
    20180126_223641.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20180126_223628.jpg
    20180126_223628.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 96

Seasoldier

Looks pretty much like a standard fish tank that's been constructed to have an open top with suspended lights, what thickness is the glass?

DillonPhoenix

It looks a lot like my old snake tank that I had a few years back! Do you know if it has been used as a fish tank previously? because it might not be designed to hold water, they use thinner glass on reptile tanks, but you could always add a thick layer of aquarium sealant and test it out in your bath or outside for a week or so to make sure it doesn't leak or crack!

Albert Nieto

The glass is 1/4" thick. Thanks for the feedback.

Seasoldier

The glass is 1/4" thick. Thanks for the feedback.

That's 6mm glass so would be fine as a fish tank for the size. If you do set it up as a tank be careful what you stock it with if it has an open top, some fish are really good jumpers

TexasDomer

There are issues with that stocking, if you'd like to discuss it

I would also do a leak test - while this doesn't ensure that you'll never have issues with your tank leaking, it's a good idea to make sure that your tank can hold water from the beginning!

Seasoldier

Thank you for the information. I have 3 angelfish, 3 clown loach and 1 molly.

What do you have them in at the moment? Clown Loach can grow 10 to 12 inches long so need a big tank, there have even been reports of some reaching 18 inches.

Albert Nieto

I have them currently in a 30 gallon tank, will be upgrading to a 75 or 125 soon. Have had these fish together for about 6+ months. Bought clowns to get rid of snail issue. The one molly survived when I introduced the Angelfish, he was a baby and they couldn't catch him, after about 2 or 3 weeks of trying to eat him they left him alone.

Attachments

• 20180127_092758.jpg
    20180127_092758.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 62

Seasoldier

The one molly survived when I introduced the Angelfish, he was a baby and they couldn't catch him, after about 2 or 3 weeks of trying to eat him they left him alone.
Ha ha nature in action, survival of the fittest Seriously though you're eventually going to need at least a 6 foot tank for the clowns, they're big fast fish & need a lot of length & width in a tank to be happy.

TexasDomer

In addition to the large tank size for the clowns, they should be kept in larger groups. Also, angels should not be kept in groups of three - two will gang up and beat up one of them. I'd rehome one of the angelfish now, as you don't have room to add another angelfish to make four.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
flepsfish
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views