Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Freshwater Fish This Is?

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think hes supposed to eat algae.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A picture would help

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
haha...thought it went up...hold on..

Here he is!

Attachments

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
High fin banded shark

Myxocyprinus asiaticus

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Chinese High-Fin Banded Shark

MikeRad89 said:
High fin banded shark
You beat me to it. We were writing at the same time I guess, lol.

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i bought him at a fish store that's kinda far away. I wanted something that was hardy enough to live in my outdoor goldfish aquarium but for a 20 gallon tank. I didn't want him to get any bigger than 6 inches. The guy at the store told me, I think maybe a ranger or a congo, or something, but I forgot. He supposed to eat algae, but so far, I think he just likes fish food.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well he's going to get a bit bigger than that. They grow to nearly 5 feet.

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah...very cool. I'm really excited about this guy. Although, when I bought him, he didn't have any stripes...he was just pink...and then something happened. Do you think he's okay?

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is NOT a plecostomas, and not even a good algae eater. That is a baby fish known as the high fin banded shark. As an adult it will get huge (over 50 inches) and turn a muddy brown color, as well as losing it's fancy dorsal fin. I recommend taking it back as soon as possible as it is highly unlikely you have the means to care for it as an adult.

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Whaaaaaaaaaaa???? Yikes!

I'm showing my wife right now.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Victor Noda said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaa???? Yikes!
Ya, look up pictures of adults and they look like completely different fish haha

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, in summary. I just spent the entire night researching the Chinese High Fin Banded Shark. I learned a lot and I know it would be irresponsible of me to keep him, now, knowing that it's just going to be huge, and I would be forced to take him over to my LFS to have them rescue him. He is a pretty cool little fish, although the circumstances of how I acquired him is a bit fishy...meaning that he was described to me as something he is not...but oh well.

Seth15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately sometimes workers at LFS will describe fish as something else purposely or non-knowingly just to make a quick sale.

Glad to hear though that you have made a responsible decision to return him, hopefully the next owner can provide the proper home/pond.

Victor Noda said:
Well, in summary. I just spent the entire night researching the Chinese High Fin Banded Shark. I learned a lot and I know it would be irresponsible of me to keep him, now, knowing that it's just going to be huge, and I would be forced to take him over to my LFS to have them rescue him. He is a pretty cool little fish, although the circumstances of how I acquired him is a bit fishy...meaning that he was described to me as something he is not...but oh well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom