Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Freshwater Fish This Is?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Victor Noda, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Victor Noda

Victor NodaValued MemberMember

I think hes supposed to eat algae.

2. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

A picture would help

3. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

haha...thought it went up...hold on..

Here he is!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018
  4. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

High fin banded shark

Myxocyprinus asiaticus

6. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Chinese High-Fin Banded Shark

You beat me to it. We were writing at the same time I guess, lol.

7. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

i bought him at a fish store that's kinda far away. I wanted something that was hardy enough to live in my outdoor goldfish aquarium but for a 20 gallon tank. I didn't want him to get any bigger than 6 inches. The guy at the store told me, I think maybe a ranger or a congo, or something, but I forgot. He supposed to eat algae, but so far, I think he just likes fish food.

8. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Well he's going to get a bit bigger than that. They grow to nearly 5 feet.

9. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

Ah...very cool. I'm really excited about this guy. Although, when I bought him, he didn't have any stripes...he was just pink...and then something happened. Do you think he's okay?

10. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

That is NOT a plecostomas, and not even a good algae eater. That is a baby fish known as the high fin banded shark. As an adult it will get huge (over 50 inches) and turn a muddy brown color, as well as losing it's fancy dorsal fin. I recommend taking it back as soon as possible as it is highly unlikely you have the means to care for it as an adult.

11. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

Whaaaaaaaaaaa???? Yikes!

I'm showing my wife right now.

12. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Ya, look up pictures of adults and they look like completely different fish haha:D

13. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

Well, in summary. I just spent the entire night researching the Chinese High Fin Banded Shark. I learned a lot and I know it would be irresponsible of me to keep him, now, knowing that it's just going to be huge, and I would be forced to take him over to my LFS to have them rescue him. He is a pretty cool little fish, although the circumstances of how I acquired him is a bit fishy...meaning that he was described to me as something he is not...but oh well.

14. Seth15

Seth15Valued MemberMember

Unfortunately sometimes workers at LFS will describe fish as something else purposely or non-knowingly just to make a quick sale.

Glad to hear though that you have made a responsible decision to return him, hopefully the next owner can provide the proper home/pond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice