Does Anyone Know If This Is Columnaris

1. e

emfish Member Member

Hi,

Some of you might have read my previous post around a week ago about my guppy deaths in my 55 gallon, we suspected columnaris, but stage 1 so when they died there were no symptoms or marks on the fish. I think this is now under control....

However....

Now my 30g is displaying fungus symptoms. One of my fish again around a week ago had a wound on the top of her head. I suspected getting stuck behind the filter, so I treated with Protozin and she's on the mend now.

I woke up this morning to see something wrong with another one of my female Molly's.. she has a white/ red looking mark on her mouth. I managed to get pics.

Wondering if anyone knows what's going on?
    Emily

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Poor hubby can’t find the fish. Can you get a better pic that’s not all green? Or maybe someone else will visit this thread and tell us what they see.

3. OP
    OP
    e

emfish Member Member

The second pic you can see the fish better. It's right in the middle of the green...

Sorry for bad quality. They don't stay still haha

4. Gypsy13

Isn’t that the truth! If I need a pic of one of the minnows or corys the guppies are “look at us! Look at us!”.
    Hubby is gone so I’ll see if we can catch some good eyes out there.
    @Mary765 @Goldiemom @Rtessy some eyes please? Thank you.

5. OP
    OP
    e

emfish Member Member

Thank you!!

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Sorry, hard for me to tell, but it looks like there's with coving both lips and protruding outwards, it seems to cover all of both lips.
    If it's columnaris, I've heard good things about Kanaplex helping. Since it's on the mouth, it does point towards columnairs, in my opinion, but Gypsy is better at diseases than me, so I'll let her make the call. Good luck!

7. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

@Gypsy13 You really enjoy tagging me as your eyes huh? I don't mind :D gives me something to do to keep my fish skills sharp!

I know this sounds a little out there but maybe it's something to do with the algae? I've always had issues with my 10g and one of those issues is an algae problem, And my guppies experience all sorts of odd unexplained diseases and deaths.

I'm not saying the algae causes it, but maybe something else causes the algae and diseases? Sorry if this sounds odd but it's just an observation I've made between our two tanks and maybe it means something to somebody else on here?

8. Gypsy13

Ok. Thanks guys.
    Sounds like the first thing I’d do is a clean up. At least a thirty to forty percent water change. If you have carbon in your filter, take it out. When I went through the columnaris deal, I used kanaplex and metroplex. It helped but didn’t get rid of it. So I tried API general cure. It worked. If I were you I’d start with the general cure. After the general cure, I’d do frequent water changes and try to find out what’s causing the algae. Keep us posted please? Wishing you the best.

9. Gypsy13

Yeah. You’re the only one I know hanging out here at about the same times as me on a regular basis. Lol.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

@Gypsy13
    There is definitely a visible fluffy "coating" over the lips of the fish.
    It also doesn't close its mouth.

11. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Well, I was up with you until after midnight so a girl has to sleep sometime. Lol. As Fanatic said, it does look to be fluffy white around the mouth. Maybe mouthrot or columnaris. Kanaplex, as Gypsy suggested.

12. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Kanaplex works great and you can also do a salt bath with some iodine inside. I found it somewhere deep in an article I was reading :D

13. Gypsy13

I’d just use plain aquarium salt original or non iodized Sea salt with no additives. Good luck.

14. OP
    OP
    e

emfish Member Member

Hi Guys,

Turns out she's not a girl, she's actually a boy who managed to hide when i moved all my boys over to the 55g haha, along with 3 others.... whoops,

He's looking a lot better this morning, eating and also swimming around a lot more. I think it may have been a wound? I'm not too sure... But he is much better after the weekly 40% water change and another dose of protozin.

Thank you everyone for your help!! Love this site, so helpful....

15. OP
    OP
    e

emfish Member Member

This is him this morning! Looking much better

The thing behind him isn’t dirt btw, it’s a rock haha :)

Attached Files: