Does anyone know if my platy is pregnant

1. abi202

abi202 New Member Member

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place to put this I wasn't sure we're to ask. Just wondered if anyone could tell me if my platy is pregnant. She has been hiding in the plants at the bottom of the tank from last night. She looks bigger than usual. I have a photo doesn't do her justice though I've put her in a plastic bedding tub just in case as I have other fish who will eat the babies (from previous experience) she had babies about a year ago.

Any help would be really appreciated :) thank you x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

She could be but if she is, she definitely doesn't look ready to give birth.

When she is ready to give birth you can easily tell because her belly will look more squary and you may see a dark gravid spot. She will also breathe very fast and will usually stay near the surface hiding as she is intimidated by the other fish.

You mentioned you have two other fish, are they both platies? And if so, are they males?

She could be hiding because the other fish are stressing her out and this can be very likely if those two fish are male platys.

If there are males in the tank she most likely is pregnant and even if there isn't she still most likely is pregnant :/ if you recently purchased her because most livebearing fish such as mollies are always pregnant in stores a they have been exposed to males before and the females store the sperm so basically one meeting with a male can be enough for her to be pregnant several times as they can hold on to the sperm for up to 6 months or so.

3. OP
    OP
    abi202

abi202 New Member Member

Hey thank you she stayed near the suffice all last night which is when I started worries. I've had her for about a year not sure on the other sexes of the platys I know one of them had babies last year unfortunately I let in the tank too early and my angelfish ate them :( she generally gets along with the other fish there around her now as she's in the platys breeding tub here's a better picture for you.

Sorry it's hard to get a picture as she doesn't want to stay still :) x

Attached Files:

4. A

I know, taking pictures of fish can be difficult sometimes :/
    But from what I am seeing, your platy does seem pregnant because her stomach looks popped out in comparison to her head. A top view will also indicate if she is pregnant, she will look alot wider near her stomach area.

But she deosn't look ready to give birth yet.
    You can easily tell the platys apart by looking at their anal fins.
    Males have a pointy fin while females have more of triangle fin.
    A quick google image search: Click Here

I wouldn't put her in the breeding box unless she seems squary and looks like she is breathing fast, these are clear signs that she will be giving birth soon.

And I am sorry to hear about your fry getting eaten by your angelfish :( But more could be on the way :)

5. OP
    OP
    abi202

abi202 New Member Member

Thank you I've taken her out she seems happier apart from she hid straight back in her try so have no chance of a top view picture :) hopefully we will have more on the way :) ill keep watching her becoming an expert at fishing in my tank :) x

6. A

Yeah just keep an eye on her :)
    She will become fatter as days pass.
    Good luck with her and keep us posted if you need more help :)

7. OP
    OP
    abi202

abi202 New Member Member

Thank you
    I'll mor than likely have a bazillion question so will keep you posted :)