Does Anyone Know How To Tell If A Scorpion Is Really Old

ScorpionGuy

To begin, I got the scorpion as a mature male from someone who has no clue how to care for scorpions so, I have no idea how old the scorpion was when I got it. I do know that it was sexually mature because I had witnessed it try to mate with the female multiple times.

The scorpion in question is a heterometrus sp. not sure on the exact species though. The scorpion had died yesterday. I want to know if it was old age and not my fault.
One of the scorpion's pedipalps was limp, and he tried not to use it. The palp still had all of it's strength when it came to pinching, found that out the hard way.
He started roaming the enclosure instead of hiding like normal. I don't think he starved because I fed him last weekend. That should have been enough to get him to the next feeding. I have seen scorpions go longer than that. The female is still doing fine.

I removed him from the enclosure with the female before he died, I did that mainly to try and save the male because I thought he could be saved. I didn't feel that the female was at risk of infection from a parasite or anything.
The male slowed down and wandered around outside of the hides, which is not normal for him unless it is night time. I didn't think it was bad until I noticed his reaction time was much different. The male was always to more defensive and skittish so that is how I knew something was wrong. The last feeding though he snatch up the cricket really quick.

So he was healthy last weekend. I tried to feed him as soon as I realized he was sick. But he never ate. I tried really hard to get him to eat but he just grabbed the cricket and dropped it. I also noticed that his pedipalps had a "dent" or two. I don't know when the "dents" showed up I just seen them yesterday. The female still seems healthy.
After examining the symptoms I believe that he died of old age. I just don't know what old age looks like in scorpions so I can't know for sure.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon