Question Does anyone here have experience with garden snails?

FathomtheFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have two young garden snails and one adult. The adult has been in hibernation for at least a month (paper-like substance covering body) and the two young ones aren't very active. What, if anything, is wrong with them? I have some pictures.
Image1585008456.271410.jpg
Image1585008524.265181.jpg

They get fresh veggies, cuttlebone, organic potting soil, plenty of enrichment that's changed around often, and they can free-roam my desk sometimes when I work. They've also got some live moss and a small pool with water. When I take them out, they do become active and happy. Their enclosure is kept humid and moist, and the lid is covered so it preserves humidity.
Image1585008731.598843.jpg

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Snails both hibernate and estivate, so very specific conditions will be sensed by them. They are likely fine, and will come out when they think conditions are safe. They will even sense things like the weather change outside, so if it rains, they may come out.

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
Snails both hibernate and estivate, so very specific conditions will be sensed by them. They are likely fine, and will come out when they think conditions are safe. They will even sense things like the weather change outside, so if it rains, they may come out.
Cool!
Now I want to keep land snails!

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to say get some to roam around your garden or encourage birds to getrid of them

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
I was going to say get some to roam around your garden or encourage birds to getrid of them
I was expecting cooking tips for them.

OP
FathomtheFish

FathomtheFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you! It has been raining for the past week and the baby snails are more active now.

They make great “first pets” due to their not complicated care requirements. I’ve had these guys for a year now but in captivity their lifespan is 7-12.

New Threads