Does Anyone Have An Answer (mini-cycle?)

Piscesorkillerwhale

Reaction score
My ammonia was zero nitrate zero and nitrate between 20 and 40. I use seachem ptime and apI liquid testing kit. Tanks been running 2 months. Seeded from established tank.

Took my jd out and put in a forktail rainbow and pleco. Ammonia was at 2ppm and nitrates went to zero. I did water changes and got ammonia to zero. Waited a week and retested and now my ammonia levels have risen again to 2ppm and nitrates are at zero. Nitrite zero. Ph 7.0.

I use a python gravel cleaner and I have some live plants.

Any idea what is going on?

My filter system is 150bio wheel with cartridge and pollyfill and I have a 40gal sponge filter.

26 gallon tank.
Water is clear.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Did you use anything to keep your tank cycling like added ammonia? Nm....rereading...misunderstood

You disnt happen to clean your filter as well as doing a water change right before adding fish?

Marzahtha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know the cause but I would just pour some TSS+ in and see if that helps. Did your nitrates increase when you did the water changes to reduce ammonia levels? I'm just wondering if your tank never cycled and the nitrates are in your source water.

OP
Piscesorkillerwhale

Piscesorkillerwhale

Reaction score
Marzahtha said:
I don't know the cause but I would just pour some TSS+ in and see if that helps. Did your nitrates increase when you did the water changes to reduce ammonia levels? I'm just wondering if your tank never cycled and the nitrates are in your source water.
All my tank readings were good when my jd was in there. I took the whole filter system and 75% of the water from the tank I seeded I just had super high nitrates at first. Ive been using sheachems versionof tss

Kathryn Crook said:
Did you use anything to keep your tank cycling like added ammonia? Nm....rereading...misunderstood

You disnt happen to clean your filter as well as doing a water change right before adding fish?
Never cleaned the filter

Marzahtha said:
My tap water is zero ammonia and nitrate

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom