Does ANYONE have a 20g high?

1. piste Initiate Member

I have one ...a Seaclear acrylic with a Marineland Eclipse 2 hood which I have come to not like very much. The filters seem to clog very easily...which leads to water overflowing and creating secret leaks out the wiring. Also, my light that is part of the hood has broken..only one of the two works and I cannot find a replacement setup anywhere online. I think I am beginning to undersand why Marineland discontinued the Eclipse.

So the tank seems fine but I am in need of a new hood. So if you have a 20g high could you chime in on what hood, lighting, filtration setup you have and comment on whether you like it or not. I have become a fan of AC filters...and understand finnex to be good lights...but despite numerous searches cannot find anything anywhere about any available hoods.

TIA.

2. GoldenKillifish Member Member

I have a 20high kit by aqueon. It has an LED hood and I like it because it has many precut pop out pieces for installing heater and filter. Also you can pop pieces back in if you change set up. Only back draw is of course you have to pull whole hood off for water changes but that's typical with these combo light lid set ups.
    Downstairs on my 50 gallon I have a glass canopy by marine land which I really like.

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3781

As my light I have an adjustable LED bar from an off brand that I don't remember but works well. Just bought the cheapest one I could find that was water resistant and raised (not sitting on glass directly )

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

20g High isnt a great dimension for tanks. But my tank had a plastic canopy, and a T8 balast in it.

If you want a canopy, I'd suggest a glass canopy, they look really nice. Glass canopy ~ 15-25$
    Ballast ~ 20-25$
    Lightbulb ~ 8-18$

I just bought a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 today it arrived. I love it, but it doesnt screw to my tank very well because of the lip, and the manual save settings dont work very well. Looking forward to the 24/7 setting.

It was about 90$ w/ two day shipping from amazon

4. piste Initiate Member

Thank you for the responses so far. The glass canopies look like a decent option. I would have to check out dimensions. And because my tank is acrylic it has no lip at the top ...so the glass canopie would have to just sit on the top.

I have also discovered that some of my overflow issue with my Eclipse is because of placement of my purigen bag on top of the filter..which have now adjusted. I should also add that one advantage of the Eclipse is I never have to remove the hood ...not even for water changes. But I still have my broken ballast issue.

5. Skyy2112 Member Member

[​IMG]

Ballast of Finnex Planted+ 24/7

Whether you go LED or not, in the long run they are more cost efficient. Theres tons of LEDs that are open lid (no canopy just light) I think they look nicer, dont waste electricity, and in the long run no bulbs!

6. SmilingJocker Member Member

Skyy2112
    You can take off the inner half of the feet of the lights. I have 3 24/7s and I've had to do that for all three.
    You have to slide it to one side about two mm and it comes off with the screws.
    Also, that's a really smart way to make it fit on the smaller tank.
    I might do that.

7. Skyy2112 Member Member

SmilingJocker yeah I did it backwards. Tonight I'm moving my 20H into a 20L. So they will have to move. Part of the leg comes apart? Gotta try this. (Was gonna sand the tank edges to make it fit the 20 Long)

8. piste Initiate Member

I have never done without canapy but it is a possibility since I have no fish jumpers. Do you not have any issues with too much evaporation with not having a hood?

9. SmilingJocker Member Member

Not anymore than with a hood.
    It definitely looks a lot better than having a hood.

10. Skyy2112 Member Member

You would definitely have evap, IMO, I'd vac weekly and add the evap then. =] it also depends on the footprint size of your tank.