Does Anyone Else Share My Grief?!

Bry
I don't know where this fits in the forum, but here I go.
So, where I got here. I was given a 37 gallon aquarium. Great, the immediate problem being the previous owner stocked it with FOUR common goldfish and two fantails. SO I rehomed them to a friend with a pond.
Now. My issue. NOTHING I PUT IN THE TANK STAYS ALIVE! I've tried Angelfish a couple times, African Cichlids, and a few other things. So I took the heater out, tried to do fantail goldfish. They live a few months then randomly die.
So my soap box, my grief, is how people do things wrong and everything is fine. But when you do everything right sometimes it just doesn't work out. I have three other aquariums that are perfectly fine.
But some people can keep bettas in tiny 1/2 gallon bowls and them live for a year or more. But other times people will keep them beautiful aquariums heated and filtered, but the betta die after a few months!
It's so frustrating!

ChikoritaTheAxolotl
Try mosquito fish. They don’t need a heater and they are the most hardy fish I ever owned. I still have three in my main 15 gallon tank (they used to live in a 3.5) I called one baby fish cause I had her since she was a fry. When ever I cup my hand in the aquarium she will swim into my hand. Who knew a mosquito fish can bond with their owners??? She also follows my finger to where every I want her to go. Even into the aquarium net!!!
U could always try African dwarf frogs too. They are pretty cheap. Or u could set up a planted aquarium and have shrimp.

Momgoose56
You might need to strip this tank down and start over. I'm assuming of course, that your water parameters are normal, and that you do regular water changes and do tank maintenance?

Bry
You might need to strip this tank down and start over. I'm assuming of course, that your water parameters are normal, and that you do regular water changes and do tank maintenance?
I test the water (master kit) and it says everything is fine. I've also got it tested by two different aquarium shops, both of which said my water is good. I do weekly water changes on all my tanks, 25-33%.
I'm about to upgrade to something bigger, and more normal dimensions. Then I'm going to sell it. It current houses three calico fantails and one mystery snail. (and maybe a nerite?)

CyndiLove
I don't know where this fits in the forum, but here I go.
So, where I got here. I was given a 37 gallon aquarium. Great, the immediate problem being the previous owner stocked it with FOUR common goldfish and two fantails. SO I rehomed them to a friend with a pond.
Now. My issue. NOTHING I PUT IN THE TANK STAYS ALIVE! I've tried Angelfish a couple times, African Cichlids, and a few other things. So I took the heater out, tried to do fantail goldfish. They live a few months then randomly die.
So my soap box, my grief, is how people do things wrong and everything is fine. But when you do everything right sometimes it just doesn't work out. I have three other aquariums that are perfectly fine.
But some people can keep bettas in tiny 1/2 gallon bowls and them live for a year or more. But other times people will keep them beautiful aquariums heated and filtered, but the betta die after a few months!
It's so frustrating!
I have lost about a hundred bucks in fish. Mostly angelfish because that's the kind I want. I finally got rid of my 29 gal that was killing them and they've done good in a 60 gal. The smaller misc fish are randomly dying one at a time now and like you, my parameters are good and I do weekly water changes. I how we find an answer!!!

goldface
I test the water (master kit) and it says everything is fine. I've also got it tested by two different aquarium shops, both of which said my water is good. I do weekly water changes on all my tanks, 25-33%.
I'm about to upgrade to something bigger, and more normal dimensions. Then I'm going to sell it. It current houses three calico fantails and one mystery snail. (and maybe a nerite?)
Might be the fish you're buying, and not the the tank itself.

Bry
Might be the fish you're buying, and not the the tank itself.
See I thought the same. So the first couple fish were from one store. They died. I tried another. They died. I tried a third. They died. The three fantails currently in it are from Walmart, of all places, and they've been in there since the end of December.
Never any sign of sickness, they'd be out and swimming as I feed some dinner. Then the next morning (or I'd come home from work) and they'd be dead.
I also got a couple snails from the first place and they've been living fine.

Skavatar
are the original goldfish that were rehomed still alive?

Bry
are the original goldfish that were rehomed still alive?
Yup. And we're talking common goldfish that were like seven to eight inches long.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kt1uvsu
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
PBateman
Replies
Views