Does anyone else have a pleco that simply won't eat algae wafers?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Alright I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue.

I bought a TINY clown pleco about six months ago (and I mean TINY, literally maybe 1.5 inches at most now, he was about an inch when I bought him) he's in a 10 gallon currently until he gets bigger then I plan to add him into my 125.

Over the past three months I have tried to get him to eat algae wafers and he never touches them. He's not stressed looking his colors are super bright and when he's on the glass his belly doesn't look sucken in at all, he actually looks slightly chunky. He's on his driftwood 90% of the time.

Do you think I should be worried about it?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

He's eating the wood, but he's certainly not going to get the nutrients he needs to grow from it. Have you tried offering NLS wafers? Or even just straight garlic? My clown goes nuts over both of them.

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I've fed a few different types of algae wafers. I know the tank gets algae in it as well so he can eat that too, I usually have to clean it off each water change. I leave the algae alone on the decos so he can get that.

I haven't tried feeding any fresh foods yet I plan to pick some up when I go to the grocery.

I'm going to try the little seaweed salad sheets of algae and see if he eats that. My other plecos go nuts over that.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My guy really only munches on diatoms. He'd rather eat his driftwood, and eat what I offer him. I give NLS wafers, squash, zucchini, garlic, green beans. He likes to eat :)

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I got my new little guy Fred to eat one yesterday, I dropped it right in front of him and he gobbled it up. Maybe yours just doesn't like wafers? Mine was not very intersted in zucchini, I haven't tryed anything else yet.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure I dropped one directly in front of him and he sat there next to it for a bit and then went on his way.

7. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Mine loves zucchini and cucumber, you should try some when you get a chance. I boil it a little so it sinks; some people stab the chunk with a fork.

8. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I also use NLS wafters if that helps:;dk

9. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Mine was the same way- took no interest in the wafers. Maybe if you can get him to eat some zucchini or other veggies, you can trick him into getting used to the wafer by burrying it inside the veg slice.