Does anybody know where I can get Black Coryadoras?

V1kram

Hey everyone,

Does anybody know where I can purchase some black Venezuelan coryadoras or black coryadora schultzei? I can't seem to find them.

DoubleDutch

It is Corydoras and the only correct name is C.schultzei "black". I wouldn't keep them with C.venezuelanus

V1kram

DoubleDutch said:
It is Corydoras and the only correct name is C.schultzei "black". I wouldn't keep them with C.venezuelanus
Why wouldn't you keep them with c. venezuelanas

animalgirl257

im sorry, ive never seen them before but ive never really looked specifically for them so? but maybe you could look for breeders?

V1kram

animalgirl257 said:
im sorry, ive never seen them before but ive never really looked specifically for them so? but maybe you could look for breeders?
I tried looking on aqua bid, but I can't find any

pagoda

My fish supplier has several Cory types, including...

They have three pages of them...spoilt for choice/type

V1kram

pagoda said:

They have three pages of them...spoilt for choice/type

Oh, sadly I'm in the u.s.

animalgirl257

maybe search online " black corydoras for sale "
or get a different type cory?

DoubleDutch

V1kram said:
Why wouldn't you keep them with c. venezuelanas
Cause they crossbreed

V1kram

animalgirl257 said:
maybe search online " black corydoras for sale "
or get a different type cory?
I had 3 regular c. Venezuelanas, I would've gotten more but that's all my local fish store had. One passed away while I was treating for ich. I've been looking for more of them but I can't seem to find any. I also decided that I could just get black ones because they're pretty nice.
DoubleDutch said:
Cause they crossbreed
But if they're both C. Aeneus, if they crossbred it wouldn't be too bad, right?

Coradee

pagoda said:

£20!!!? Wow that’s very expensive

V1kram said:
But if they're both C. Aeneus, if they crossbred it wouldn't be too bad, right?
Although they’re both in the aenus family group they’re a separate species & shouldn’t (imo) be crossbred. It does nothing for either species & (again imo) weakens both especially the blacks as they’re a man made species & the gene pool is limited.
There are over 400 species without adding ‘mutts’ to the numbers..........
well you did ask!

V1kram

Coradee said:
£20!!!? Wow that’s very expensive

Although they’re both in the aenus family line they’re separate species & shouldn’t (imo) be crossbred. It does nothing for either species & (again imo) weakens both especially the blacks as they’re a man made species & the gene pool is limited.
There are over 400 species without adding ‘mutts’ to the numbers..........
well you did ask!
Thank you for your help!

DoubleDutch

Agree. They aren't C.aeneus but members of the Aeneusgroup.

Michael Hammond

The 'black fish ' in the link above are correctly named Corydoras Schultzei Black. I don't know why the retailer has the word ' Venezuelas ' in the title. They have nothing to do with Corydoras Venezuelas. That is a completely separate species, although very closely related. I have bred Schultzei Black, they must be one of the easiest Corries to spawn, having sold dozens of offspring to retailers in the U.K. The price he wants for them (£20 ), quite frankly is taking the mickey!

V1kram

Michael Hammond said:
The 'black fish ' in the link above are correctly named Corydoras Schultzei Black. I don't know why the retailer has the word ' Venezuelas ' in the title. They have nothing to do with Corydoras Venezuelas. That is a completely separate species, although very closely related. I have bred Schultzei Black, they must be one of the easiest Corries to spawn, having sold dozens of offspring to retailers in the U.K. The price he wants for them (£20 ), quite frankly is taking the mickey!
Do you ship to the U.S. and do you have regular Venezuelan Coryadoras?

Michael Hammond

Hi there. Sorry, I don't ship to the U.S. , in fact I don't ship anywhere. The U.K. in area is not bigger than Texas, so live fish can always be delivered by myself. I am only a hobbyist, who breeds Corries for fun. Do try to get some of this breed if possible though. The intense deep black colour of them makes them look good in any aquarium. And as I've said above they are easy to breed. Best of luck..

V1kram

Michael Hammond said:
Hi there. Sorry, I don't ship to the U.S. , in fact I don't ship anywhere. The U.K. in area is not bigger than Texas, so live fish can always be delivered by myself. I am only a hobbyist, who breeds Corries for fun. Do try to get some of this breed if possible though. The intense deep black colour of them makes them look good in any aquarium. And as I've said above they are easy to breed. Best of luck..
Thank you!

Mlou

If you live around Boston, a local fish shop here has a ton of these black cories the own just brought in. She is asking for $30 each so it's not your run of the mill bronze cory anymore. I think the premium price is because it's "black" and it's really a pretty fish. I dont own any because I chose to get the green lasers instead for the same price here. (send me pm if you want the name of the shop...she doesnt ship I dont think but you can ask)

Yes don't go muddying the pretty black gene pool and create offsprings that are just a muddled brown. Keep all black or use your money on another species of cory. There are plenty more to choose from.

V1kram

Mlou said:
If you live around Boston, a local fish shop here has a ton of these black cories the own just brought in. She is asking for $30 each so it's not your run of the mill bronze cory anymore. I think the premium price is because it's "black" and it's really a pretty fish. I dont own any because I chose to get the green lasers instead for the same price here. (send me pm if you want the name of the shop...she doesnt ship I dont think but you can ask)

Yes don't go muddying the pretty black gene pool and create offsprings that are just a muddled brown. Keep all black or use your money on another species of cory. There are plenty more to choose from.
I decided I'd. just try to find regular Venezuelan Corys. Does she have any?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom