Does anybody here kayak?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, i need something to do away from people this summer, and i want to get back into kayaking. Problem is I no longer own one. I want one that can handle some serious whitewater (class 4 and maybe 5 if i grow a pair) but i live in Texas so it will spend most of it's time on a lake or slow river.
Also, I've only rafted out west, but am curious about good rivers in the eastern US. What do y'all know about them?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MrBryan723 said:
So, i need something to do away from people this summer, and i want to get back into kayaking. Problem is I no longer own one. I want one that can handle some serious whitewater (class 4 and maybe 5 if i grow a pair) but i live in Texas so it will spend most of it's time on a lake or slow river.
Also, I've only rafted out west, but am curious about good rivers in the eastern US. What do y'all know about them?
I kayak during the summer in Spain. I ho around a huge resovoir and we see all types of wildlife from eagles to carp to deer to wildboar and wolves. Ita so calming. I go early in the morning and just drift round all the inlets to nt spook the animals. I love it

OP
MrBryan723

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I want to kayak in Spain haha! Sounds soothing.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SnookusFish said:
I kayak during the summer in Spain. I ho around a huge resovoir and we see all types of wildlife from eagles to carp to deer to wildboar and wolves. Ita so calming. I go early in the morning and just drift round all the inlets to nt spook the animals. I love it
I went kayaking last summer a few times, because we finally found a couple good kayaks. I am going to go again fairly soon, but I'm not sure exactly when yet. We're probably going to go for my birthday, which is this week.

OP
MrBryan723

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I went kayaking last summer a few times, because we finally found a couple good kayaks. I am going to go again fairly soon, but I'm not sure exactly when yet. We're probably going to go for my birthday, which is this week.
Did you do lakes or rivers? What kind of kayak did y'all find? I'm looking into inflatable ones. I like to do a lot of primitive camping so I'm looking for ones that weigh less than 40lbs and pack down pretty small.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
MrBryan723 said:
Did you do lakes or rivers? What kind of kayak did y'all find? I'm looking into inflatable ones. I like to do a lot of primitive camping so I'm looking for ones that weigh less than 40lbs and pack down pretty small.
They are the plastic ones, I've never used an inflatable one before. I can't remember what brand, but I'll update you when we get them out again. I'm probably getting another one anyways, we only have three. So far mainly rivers, but lakes are fine too. As long as we're kayaking I'm good. ;)

esqueff

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I LOVE Kayaking. I picked up two this winter for me and my wife to use and weve already gone 5 times this spring. We enjoy it very much. Im located in utah however. Mostly have smaller rivers and lots of mountain lakes here

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MrBryan723 said:
Big lake. If your on your own i use a plastic sit on top but when there was 2 of us we have a bigger inflatable person kayak. The single platic one is definitely faster smoother and quieter. Easier to control too

OP
MrBryan723

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
esqueff said:
I LOVE Kayaking. I picked up two this winter for me and my wife to use and weve already gone 5 times this spring. We enjoy it very much. Im located in utah however. Mostly have smaller rivers and lots of mountain lakes here
First river I ever rafted was the Greene in Utah. It was supposed to be a simple trip to allow me to learn the basics of control and steering and such, but it had rained recently and the water was pushing close to 15000cfs so that was quite the introductory experience.

esqueff

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First river I ever rafted was the Greene in Utah. It was supposed to be a simple trip to allow me to learn the basics of control and steering and such, but it had rained recently and the water was pushing close to 15000cfs so that was quite the introductory experience.
Wow that alot of water! Yeah the green river is one of the larger ones in the state. Im actually going rafting there next month! Im excited!

mmercier

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't really know of any great kayak specifics (I mostly raft) or rivers out East, but if you ever come back West the Klamath River it great white water!

OP
MrBryan723

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jerome O'Neil said:
I have a great big flat bottomed tandem I use for fishing. White water? Wazzat? :D

kayak.jpg
It's where all the big fish are hiding;)

OP
MrBryan723

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mmercier said:
I don't really know of any great kayak specifics (I mostly raft) or rivers out East, but if you ever come back West the Klamath River it great white water!
I kayaked the Klamath a few years back. Starting at iron gate south for about 60 miles. Was some fun stuff, and some pretty technical parts, but most of it was pretty calm. The previous week was the Greene in Utah, which was running high and way more intense at the time lol. I'd like to run another part of it, but scouting it from Texas is a bit tricky.

mmercier

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 said:
I kayaked the Klamath a few years back. Starting at iron gate south for about 60 miles. Was some fun stuff, and some pretty technical parts, but most of it was pretty calm. The previous week was the Greene in Utah, which was running high and way more intense at the time lol. I'd like to run another part of it, but scouting it from Texas is a bit tricky.
Super cool you've had the chance to go all over! The river is definitely a mix haha

Pariah

Reaction score
Amish country Ohio. Home state: Alaska (interior)
Experience
5 to 10 years
We go kayaking as often as we can. We just putter around the local lakes and swamps. My wife and I both have a Pelican Rise 100x. Mine is orange and hers is green. They aren't fancy, but they suit our mission and were only $169 at Dunham's, so the price was right.

Here recently I almost got myself into a lot of trouble in mine. I enjoy wandering around in the Killbuck swamps and in a lot of places the water is only a couple inches deep. Well, I was in an area covered with duckweed and I ran aground on a submerged log, so I reached in with my hand and shoved myself off and I felt it was loose. I then tried to shove the log out of my way with my paddle... it wasn't a log... it was a massive snapping turtle! He would have easily filled my 24" wide cockpit. A true dinosaur! Guess who hasn't put their hands into the water since?

Attachments

New Threads