Does anybody else have hiding bettas?

1. Terscelle Member Member

2. PythonTheBetta Member Member

The ammonia looks really high, what water conditioner do you use? how often do you do water changes and how big are they?

3. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with the above poster; I've kept bettas for over a decade and every single one of them were pigs when it came to food and were active swimmers.

4. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Your ammonia reading looks to be at least 2.0 ppm on my screen. I think that's why your betta is so lethargic. Ammonia is toxic and that's a high reading for your betta. Looks like you decided to do a fish-in cycle? Did you add any additional BB when you set up the tank, or are you doing regular monitoring and water changes instead? I think I'd do a large water change to get that ammonia reading down, especially since you have noticed this behavior for some time. How often are you changing the water, and how much at a time? Do you have a water conditioner you are using and what brand? Also, have you tested your tap water? Sorry for the question overload, but believe me it will help everyone help you better. :)

5. Aquatica88 Member Member

As others have said, your ammonia levels are much too high. Do some large water changes and get a bottle of Prime. This will detoxify the ammonia while your tank cycles.

6. Terscelle Member Member

Yes fish in cycle since I read ab

7. Terscelle Member Member

Sorry..about they cycling after I had put them in the tanks. I did a full water change this past weekend. I use betta bow plus conditioner...and API quick start. I try doing water changes a few times a week now. Have seachem prime and stability on order. Should be here tomorrow

8. Terscelle Member Member

Tap water has a slight amonia reading and ph

9. Terscelle Member Member

Update: so I found a sample pack of ..Korean amquel plus conditioner. It says it's an ammonia detoxifer. Put some in his tank and put him in a smaller betta bowl for now while he recovers. Small bowl has this detoxifer in it as well as the quick start and the betta bow plus. Did a large water change in the tank. Going to keep him out of it till I can calm the ammonia in it. Prime should be here today. Thoughts? Suggestions?

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, put him back in the tank and double dose the conditioner! There are BB you need to grow on your filter media that need ammonia. Just keep doing water changes to keep the ammonia lower than what it is now and dose conditioner every day.

11. Terscelle Member Member

I have put him back in the tank. And been doing daily water changes. This is where it was this morning. He still hardly eats and is behind/under the filter.

12. Terscelle Member Member

Well okay I did take a pic of the parametrrs. The pH is about the lowest "high" test. No nitrite or nitrate and the ammonia is probably .25 ppm

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are you dosing Prime every day?

14. Terscelle Member Member

I put it in the gallon of water I add and then more in the tank. 1 ml in each since it's 2.5 gallon

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are you using Seachem Prime? A normal dose would be 2 drops per gallon and there are 20 drops per mL.

16. Terscelle Member Member

Ugh...yes I am

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Great. I thought so but I just got up:rolleyes:

Maybe try cutting back on the dose and even add an aerator to the tank if there's not enough water movement? I seem to recall that some ich treatments and even Prime can affect oxygen availability.

Off to drink some coffee...