Does Anubias need fertilizer?

lcorona
Does Anubias need Fertilizer or can you just bury only the roots in the gravel?

Llama
You'd be better off not planting it at all. Anubias propagates through rhizomes, so you should just attach it to something.

As for fertiliser, mine is thriving, and I never used fertiliser.

DRock914
I've had mine for about 3 months so far with no fertilizer or plant food. I just put a plant weight on it and sunk it under the gravel. Its still growing new leafs.

alicem
You can handle these the same as you do your java fern.
Also, you can gently wedge anubia and/or java fern between some rocks so it looks like it's growing out of them.
They will more than likely get enough fertilizer from the nitrates in your water.
alicem

Nutter
Unless the plant is showing signs of deficency then it shouldn't need fertilizer. As the others have said, Anubius are often better tied to something however that only applies to the smaller anubius. For most of the mid to large anubius plants that just isn't practical. If you plant anubius in the gravel, only plant the bottom half of the roots & leave the rest of the roots & rhizome abouve the surface of the gravel. If you bury the rhizome the plant will slowly die. Anubius Nana 'Petite should never be planted in the substrate at all.

Butterfly
Since Anubias is a slow grower the fertilizer in the water from your fish will more than likely be enough. Here are some ideas for plants with rhizomes.

Carol

lcorona
Thanks!

EDIT: I bought Anubias nana. Will it need any special requirements or can I just tie it to driftwood?

Nutter
Just tie it to your wood & be patient. Be gentle when tying it down & make sure you don't cut into the rhizome with the string or what ever you use to tie it down. Maybe have to give it the occasional wipe down with your fingers if algae starts to form on the leaves & stems but other than that it will mostly take care of itself.

Seeing as you are planting out your tank I suggest getting 4-6 Otos & at leat one maybe 2 SAE to take care of any algae that may pop up.

lcorona
Just tie it to your wood & be patient. Be gentle when tying it down & make sure you don't cut into the rhizome with the string or what ever you use to tie it down. Maybe have to give it the occasional wipe down with your fingers if algae starts to form on the leaves & stems but other than that it will mostly take care of itself.

Seeing as you are planting out your tank I suggest getting 4-6 Otos & at leat one maybe 2 SAE to take care of any algae that may pop up.

Wait won't the corys and the barbs take care of that? My tank is already fully stocked at 49 in. in a 55 gal. tank.

Nutter
I only come up with 41" of fish in your tank. Corys & barbs will eat a tiny bit of algae but not a whole lot. The corys won't eat algae off the leaves very often because they are always on the bottom & the barbs will only nibble at algae that forms on the edges of the leaves. You have room for 3-4 Otos, no problem & probably still fit a SAE in on top of that. Just my opinion though. You might not want your tank that stocked or you might not want any algae eaters. People do have planted tanks without algae eaters. It's entirely up to your personal preferences really.

lcorona
I only come up with 41" of fish in your tank. Corys & barbs will eat a tiny bit of algae but not a whole lot. The corys won't eat algae off the leaves very often because they are always on the bottom & the barbs will only nibble at algae that forms on the edges of the leaves. You have room for 3-4 Otos, no problem & probably still fit a SAE in on top of that. Just my opinion though. You might not want your tank that stocked or you might not want any algae eaters. People do have planted tanks without algae eaters. It's entirely up to your personal preferences really.

Well I just added 4 female cherry barbs to reduce the barbs' fighting.

Nutter
Ah ha!! That explains the difference in calculations. Well you don't have an algae problem now so I guess you will just have too keep avoidding one. Good luck with it all & don't forget to post some pics!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
Bailey Oswald
  • Question
Replies
Views
newclassic1