Does algae eat nitates ?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Candymancan, Mar 23, 2010.

1. C

Candymancan Valued Member Member

Iv been getting brown algae in my tank slowely on my driftwood and my fake plants. I have noticed my water is getting "darker" like i have dark water now i think its because the agae in my tank is reflecting the light to make it seem darker. Sorta like how driftwood makes a tank darker in shades then normal.

My nitrates were always around 15-20 ish. I noticed tho without water changes that it has dropping slowely . Is it normal for nitrates to drop ? My ammonia nitrites are 0 tank has been cycled for a month now. The last week tho nitrates have just been getting lighter in color in the api test. S my question is does algae eat nitrates ?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

brown algae is common diatoms...its considered a new tank algae...and im sure it feeds somewhat off the waste in the tank....it doesnt look good, but goes away in time (months) and the darker water is from the tannis in your driftwood...again doesnt hurt anything (unless you have fish that require a higher ph as tannis lowers the ph) and water changes with fresh carbon every 3-4 weeks will clear that up..

3. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Algae thrives on nitrates, but it seems to me that you would have to have a horrible amount of it to lower the nitrates of a tank with fish in it.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

It wouldn't really surprise me if your algae could cause a noticeable drop in nitrate if you have a big enough outbreak. We salties do this all the time in our sumps, but instead of nuisance algae we use macro algaes to lower nitrate and improve overall water quality. I never thought about it much in relation to FW, but it makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice