Does adding carbonated mineral water add CO2?

OP
felix

felix

BDpups said:
I can't imagine it would have any benefit for the plants.
Carbonated water is water with disolved CO2 in it right? Water plants can't get their CO2 from the atmosphere so they need to get their CO2 from the water.

Jsigmo

Well Known
It might work, but the effect may be too short-lived to be worthwhile. Maybe you could set up a system to drip it in slowly over a long period of time.

I think there are a lot of ways to add CO2 to an aquarium. I'm not sure this would be good.

You'd want to be very sure there were no other bad ingredients in the bottled water. And it might be more expensive in the long run than using a CO2 injection system.

BDpups

Well Known
felix said:
Carbonated water is water with disolved CO2 in it right? Water plants can't get their CO2 from the atmosphere so they need to get their CO2 from the water.
How long do you think the CO2 will stay in the water? If you have a filter moving the water it is going to be gassed off pretty quickly.

If you think it will work try it. I'd be curious to hear the results.

OP
felix

felix

BDpups said:
How long do you think the CO2 will stay in the water? If you have a filter moving the water it is going to be gassed off pretty quickly.

If you think it will work try it. I'd be curious to hear the results.
The air under the hood is pretty different from the air outside the hood. I think that CO2 being a heavier gas will get trapped between the hood and the water.

I'll buy a big bottle of gassed water and at that to the water during the next water change. But I won't directly see much effect maybe if the plants start to grow faster I'll know what the cause is.

OP
felix

felix

guthrieb08 said:
you can get it at most LFS. I know you can order it off of amazon for pretty cheap.
I live in the Netherlands we mostly only have German products.

guthrieb08

ahhh I wasn't 100% on the location. lol. I'm sure they have something like that just search for bottled organic carbon source for aquarium use I'm sure you will find something. have you looked into the DIY CO2 systems. I ran one of these for awhile before I transferred over to Saltwater side of things and did away with my plants to set up a cichlid tank.

OP
felix

felix

guthrieb08 said:
ahhh I wasn't 100% on the location. lol. I'm sure they have something like that just search for bottled organic carbon source for aquarium use I'm sure you will find something. have you looked into the DIY CO2 systems. I ran one of these for awhile before I transferred over to Saltwater side of things and did away with my plants to set up a cichlid tank.
I don't have much money for CO2 systems. If gassed water also works I'll use that because it's less than euro's for a 1,5 liter bottle.

guthrieb08

diy is just a few 2 liter bottles filled with water sugar and yeast. the yeast eats the sugar and produces co2. its cheap all you need is bottles and airline tubing, yeast water and sugar. some silicone helps but not needed if you drill the holes small enough.

yeast is cheap in the baking section at your local food store

Jsigmo

Well Known
I suggested this in an earlier thread, but nobody wanted to try it:

Just get set up to make beer at home. Then bubble the CO2-Laden gas off the top of the fermentation tank through the aquarium. That way you get the CO2 and you also get BEER out of the deal.

OP
felix

felix

guthrieb08 said:
diy is just a few 2 liter bottles filled with water sugar and yeast. the yeast eats the sugar and produces co2. its cheap all you need is bottles and airline tubing, yeast water and sugar. some silicone helps but not needed if you drill the holes small enough.

Looks great I'm going to try that!

New Threads