Does A Small 2.5 Gallon Or Below Need A Filter?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vortexed, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Vortexed

VortexedValued MemberMember

The title asks the question. I want to get a betta, but Im running out of plugs and extension coords for heaters and filters.

2. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yes of course. A smaller tank needs a filter even more than a larger tank needs a filter. A betta needs 5 gallons+ in my opinion though.

4. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

VortexedValued MemberMember

It doesnt need 5 gallons minimum.

5. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

It's their opinion, and many other Betta enthusiasts, though.

I have mine in a 3.5g filtered and will be eventually upgrading to a 5-10g, not only because it is easier to maintain but my male Betta is so active he seems cramped and would definitely flourish and benefit from a 5g+

Edit - Also 2.5g is the absolute minimum most on this forum would recommend but it's not ideal by any means.

6. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Any fish will need a filter, and a betta will need a heater too. You can get small sponge filters for that size.

7. Culprit

So what would you use for a 2 gallon shrimp tank? It would be heavily planted. Are there really filters that small

8. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Yes unless a walstad using plants as a filter.

9. Culprit

Thats what I was thinking about.

10. ashenwelt

Look up walstad shrimp bowl and there is a step by step she posted.

11. ChaoryValued MemberMember

12. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

A sponge filter would be perfect for it. I personally don't advise something like walstad to beginners, and it is a lot more complex then just making the tank heavily planted.

13. ashenwelt

My opinion is its good if they go exactly by her step by step for her shrimp bowls. Beyond that... simple is the last thing to say about it. :)

14. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

A simple sponge filter is a good option for a nano tank. Inexpensive and trouble free. Still needs to cycle like any other filter to do any good.

15. Culprit

Lol I'm not exactly a beginner ;)

16. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Ah well sorry then I just say that as a general warning, not really assuming you are or are not a beginner. I personally still have no ideal where I am at with fish keeping.

17. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Yup. Smaller tanks need filters even more so than larger tanks because there is so little water that the slightest changes have a BIG impact on the water quality. In a 2.5g, go with a single sided sponge filter, a small heater, some almond leaves and a few banana plants.

18. Aya IkeuchiNew MemberMember

Yes you need a filter coz fish poo and fish food will foul the water fastly in a 2.5. I used to house my betta in my 20g but when i got my pristellas i moved my betta to my unfiltered 5G and he started getting fin rot. Now my Betta has a corner box filter and is healing. but im still a beginner just my thoughts :)

19. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Get a power strip. It will give you 6-10 extra outlets to use. I have one for every tank actually, so my outlets have room for phone chargers too lol (big family, lots of phones haha)

20. guilzNew MemberMember

it depends on you. but you can only use gravel vacuum to suck their waste every 3-7days. or if you think u needed. btw i always change 20% of water in my 2.5g tank everyday

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice