Does A Small 2.5 Gallon Or Below Need A Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortexed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The title asks the question. I want to get a betta, but Im running out of plugs and extension coords for heaters and filters.

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It doesnt need 5 gallons minimum.
It's their opinion, and many other Betta enthusiasts, though.

I have mine in a 3.5g filtered and will be eventually upgrading to a 5-10g, not only because it is easier to maintain but my male Betta is so active he seems cramped and would definitely flourish and benefit from a 5g+

Edit - Also 2.5g is the absolute minimum most on this forum would recommend but it's not ideal by any means.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A sponge filter would be perfect for it. I personally don't advise something like walstad to beginners, and it is a lot more complex then just making the tank heavily planted.
My opinion is its good if they go exactly by her step by step for her shrimp bowls. Beyond that... simple is the last thing to say about it.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A simple sponge filter is a good option for a nano tank. Inexpensive and trouble free. Still needs to cycle like any other filter to do any good.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup. Smaller tanks need filters even more so than larger tanks because there is so little water that the slightest changes have a BIG impact on the water quality. In a 2.5g, go with a single sided sponge filter, a small heater, some almond leaves and a few banana plants.

Aya Ikeuchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes you need a filter coz fish poo and fish food will foul the water fastly in a 2.5. I used to house my betta in my 20g but when i got my pristellas i moved my betta to my unfiltered 5G and he started getting fin rot. Now my Betta has a corner box filter and is healing. but im still a beginner just my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom