Does a rainbowfish community tank work?

Neppley

I've heard of some people doing rainbowfish community tanks where they mix rainbowfish species. Does this work?

86 ssinit

I’ve done it and most rainbows school together. They will swim the whole tank but use the middle and top the most. To keep a lot together you will need a 55g or bigger.

Neppley

Yeah I have an empty 90 gal due to mts lol

86 ssinit

A 90 is great. I’ve kept bosemani, fork tail and blue praecox rainbows. The fork tails are a top dweller the other mid to top. Float some westeria or hornwort and they will lay eggs in the plants.

Neppley

Thank you so much for the help!

Flyfisha

When you have abundant large leafed floating plants ( wisteria) tiny fry can be seen swimming at the surface. If you remove them before they are eaten you have the next generation of fish. If you have a mixed school of rainbows you risk crossing bloodlines . Just pick species that don’t interbreed and you avoid it happening.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer a large group of one species of rainbows.

Mixing species can work but you also risk smaller species like 3 inch praecox struggling to survive for food with 5 inch Bosemani. Especially if you are able to add the juveniles from a grow out tank of your own offspring.

626F840B-625D-469B-9C90-329A0D4BA3ED.jpeg
It’s kind of sad if after all the effort very young juveniles don’t thrive for lack of food.

Neppley

Thank you! I think I might just have a smaller tank, like 30 gallons, with a big school of Dwarf neon rainbowfish or Gertrudae rainbows

Huckleberry77

Most Rainbowfish experts will recommend NOT mixing any Pseudomugil/blue eyes with the larger rainbows. Also, Rainbowfish will hybridize and this is not desirable so cull or sequester any fry from mixed species tanks. Other than that, Rainbowfish do get along well with each other. The red Rainbowfish Glossolepsis Inscisus can be very large and very dominant though. I would recommend avoiding them as a beginner with mixed Rainbowfish tank.
Thank you! I think I might just have a smaller tank, like 30 gallons, with a big school of Dwarf neon rainbowfish or Gertrudae rainbows
A 30 gallon long would work well. Be sure you have a lid!

Neppley

A 30 gallon long would work well. Be sure you have a lid!
Yeah I wouldn't want to forget the lid!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dan12boy
Replies
Views
JGombs99
Replies
Views
Blub