Does A Betta Really Need A Heater? (i Was Shocked By Aquarium Heater) Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Panda_Mo, May 7, 2019.

1. Panda_Mo Valued Member Member

So I posted on here about 2 or 3 days ago about setting up a 55 gallon for a single betta. I filled the tank with water and started testing my equipment since it's just been sitting around for about a year to see if it still works. I got a nasty shock from what I'm assuming was from one of my heaters (They were the only things connected to a power source & inside the water) I have no clue which heater it was that shocked me and I really don't plan on trying to find out I rather throw them both in the trash. So now I'm at the point where I still want a Betta but there's no way I think it's worth getting shocked over. I don't want to buy new heaters because the whole point of a Betta in a 55 gallon was because it's cheap (already had the tank) and easy to care for. My house never gets below 70F° (21C°) especially since it's summer time. So is it really necessary to even have a heater if my house isn't ever going to get below 70F° (21C°) on the coldest day? I still haven't bought the fish and at this point I'll just sell the tank if I'm unable to make use of it.

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, they do. They need at least 78-80 for the water temperature

3. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, unless your house keeps water at a room temperature of 78-82 then a heater is required.

4. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

Yes, they’re tropical fish. In nature they might experience temperatures in the low 70s temporarily in winter, but most of the year they want to be closer to 80.

5. Panda_Mo Valued Member Member

Are there any heating solutions which I dont run the risk of being electrocuted again? Besides heating my house to the correct temptures?

6. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

You could switch the heater off while you put your hands in the tank?

Or a heat mat, like they use for reptiles... they used to be quite common with small fish tanks too.

7. Panda_Mo Valued Member Member

At or around the 45$ price range?

8. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Other than constant water changes with water around 80, not that I can think of. Maybe putting the tank in the sun, but that'll give you one heck of an algae problem

9. angelcraze Well Known Member Member

You should be disconecting the heater from the AC before servicing. Was the water level lower when you got shocked?

Quality heaters are expensive, but worth it IMO not to skimp out on. I bought a lot of my heaters used, but I bought quality brands (Eheim and Fluval) and have had all of them for more than 7 years now.

10. Panda_Mo Valued Member Member

Can you recomend me a quality one for a 55 gallon?

11. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

12. angelcraze Well Known Member Member

My go to heater is Eheim Jager. But many find it difficult to calibrate. I also had good experience with Fluval Tronic, but they are obsolete now. It's been a while since I've had to buy a heater. There are new Fluval models though.

13. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You shouldn't be totally against heaters because you supposedly were shocked by one in the past, that can happen, especially when the heater is connected to power.

I don't touch any of my heaters when the light is on, which indicates that they are heating, as they are capable of giving you a quick burn which has happened to me in the past.
    The heaters I use are all hydor ranging from 25 watts up to 150 watts, and they are quite accurate as you can adjust them, and they aren't too expensive either.

I would recommend getting a heater with the correct wattage for your tank, in this case a single betta in a 55 gallon would be best off with a heater anywhere from 100-200 watts, but the heating need can also vary on the room temperature as well.

14. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

I use Fluval E heaters. They have a digital display that tells you the temperature, and flashes if it drops or rises too much. And simple to adjust.

15. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

I recently purchased this heater for my 55 and it does an amazing job of keeping the temp very accurate. The other plus to this heater is you can control the temperature from a button on the wire so you don’t have to reach in. Thunder ob suggested it to me and I’m glad I got it!!
    Edit: I would recommend the 300W for a 55 over a 200W ... which was what I had previous to this new heater it was an Eheim Jager and couldn’t get the temp above 81 treating the tank a while back.

16. Panda_Mo Valued Member Member

Okay so I guess it's finalized I'll get a quality heater. Thank everyone who replied. I'll just make sure to unplug it when I do water changes or need to rearrange something in the tank