Dodecagonal 25G tank.

fishkeepernewbie

I just got this decagonal aquarium from my friend. It's very old, amazing the light still works! It comes with styrofoam, and wood cover. 4mm thick glass. will be doing a reseal, but haven't got a razor yet.
Without cover:
You must be registered to see images

With cover(already removed the white paint)

Inside with the purple light on.

PurityNWhiteRoses

Best of luck! I'll surely be following this journal! :)

fishkeepernewbie

Today removed silicone, waiting for aquarium silicone to come.
Quick question, is acetone absolutely necessary for resealing a tank?

fishkeepernewbie

Dodecagonal. I count 12 corners/sides not 10. ;)
Oh yes thank you for pointing that out. Have your resealed tanks before? Is acetone absolutely necessary?

MacZ

I don't know what you would need acetone for. I used to use clear ethanol (no additives!) to clean everything off the glass and then sealed it with aquarium or food-safe silicone.

fishkeepernewbie

I don't know what you would need acetone for. I used to use clear ethanol (no additives!) to clean everything off the glass and then sealed it with aquarium or food-safe silicone.
I've watched videos on youtube and all of them use acetone. thanks for telling my how you do it. But I barely have any residue left after scraping with the razor, so I don't see how that could have an effect on the resealing?

MacZ

But I barely have any residue left after scraping with the razor, so I don't see how that could have an effect on the resealing?
New silicone doesn't bind with old silicone. Any residue will lead to automatic failure.

But to be frank: I haven't redone a tank in almost 20 years. I mostly only posted because of the number.

fishkeepernewbie

New silicone doesn't bind with old silicone. Any residue will lead to automatic failure.

But to be frank: I haven't redone a tank in almost 20 years. I mostly only posted because of the number.
So I'll need to remove all residue. Will this be achievable with a razor?

MacZ

Should be possible but I won't swear by that.

fishkeepernewbie

Ok so I removed the residue with rubbing alcohol. I put the tape on the tank and I will reseal today. My dad has an old caulking gun and aquarium silicone arrived.

definitely a pain to put the tape, esp with the ledges there. 24 strips of tape! and I haven't even done the bottom yet.

fishkeepernewbie

So I've put the silicone and I will wait a few days for it to cure.

fishkeepernewbie

so after it cured, I leak tested it. it started with one leak, and then became 5. I must have done a horrible job of resealing. So umm.
If I add silicone on top of it, will it still stick? Or does 'old' silicone mean really old. should I just remove the silicone and start over again? Or should I do a layer on the outer pane of the glass?
I think this glass is crystal clear glass. If it is the price was amazing.

Here was one of the leaks.

PAcanis

Good thing you tested it.

fishkeepernewbie

Good thing you tested it.
definitely! If I'd set it up, I would have got a nasty shock when adding water.

fishkeepernewbie

Could someone please help? It's a dodecagonal 12-sided aquarium, 25 gallons. 4mm thick glass. I used aquarium-specialized silicone.
I think I put too little silicone.
My questions:
Can I just do some silicone on top of the recently done one?
how do I get rid of the newly used silicone easily(if needed)?

MoshJosh

No, you should not put new silicone over already cured silicone.

Scrape all the silicone with a sharp razor, and then clean with rubbing alcohol. . .

John58ford

The original thread (you linked) asks about acetone, I don't use that when I scrub down to reseal a tank, but I do use green pads and comet. If there is any textural difference on the glass where the seal was, the new silicone will not stick right. The texture could even just be from old hard water, I buff the whole thing out with scour powder. The bleach aspect of comet is not really necessary, and I have used a buffing/rubbing compound for the same thing but then had to strip the residue from that with dawn. Acetone is liquid magic in this field regarding the adhesive itself but it's not very effective against calcium build ups and other issues that can form under a previously failing seal. Cut the old stuff, buff it all out, deglaze it with dawn, then mask it up again. Honestly it looked like you did a good job last time.

Also, I'm not sure your silicone was too thin, I mask off the same thickness as the glass for asthetics but I would think a filet 3/16-1/4" minimum should be fine.

Coradee

Threads have been merged, members can advise you best if all the information is in one plac.

fishkeepernewbie

Would it be ok(and easier) if I just sealed the outside of the tank? Would it be safe?

fishkeepernewbie

Admin or mod, please change the title( Coradee )to Dodecagonal 25G tank.
Well I have finally resealed it properly now it doesn't leak, I left it for 12 hrs to make sure.
Well for the 'grand stand' I'm going to make it out of cinder blocks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views