Doci dose with ammonia again?

airia

My ammonia level went down to 1.0 and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add more or wait until it gets to 0 then add more. I'm about 2 weeks into my cycle and testing daily

BigManAquatics

I would wait til it gets to 0 before dosing again.

Azedenkae

My ammonia level went down to 1.0 and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add more or wait until it gets to 0 then add more. I'm about 2 weeks into my cycle and testing daily
You need to wait for both ammonia and nitrite to read zero before dosing ammonia again.

jdhef

I would bring the ammonia level back up to 2ppm (assuming that is where you started). Once nitrites appear, you can wait for the ammonia to drop back down to 0ppm before dosing back up to 2ppm of ammonia.

Dunk2

You need to wait for both ammonia and nitrite to read zero before dosing ammonia again.

While this method might work for you, you don’t need to wait for ammonia and nitrite to reach 0 before re-dosing ammonia.

Every time I’ve done a fishless cycle, I dosed and consistently re-dosed (based on daily testing) ammonia to 2 or 3 ppm.

I never experienced a cycle stalling nitrite spike and at least 2 of the tanks never tested positive for nitrites (likely a result of using bottled bacteria).

StarGirl

They are only 2 weeks in I didn't see where they even have nitrites yet. As Jdhef said dose up to 2ppm until you see nitrites. Then wait until zero to dose again.

Azedenkae

They are only 2 weeks in I didn't see where they even have nitrites yet. As Jdhef said dose up to 2ppm until you see nitrites. Then wait until zero to dose again.
Sorry, I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to point when quoting my post?

What I suggest applies regardless. If they are already seeing nitrite, then wait until both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero, then re-dose. If they are measuring some ammonia now and no nitrite, and then the ammonia is consumed and then there is nitrite, then wait for that nitrite to go away then re-dose. If ammonia drops to zero and nitrite is also at zero (for example because for whatever reason there are already enough nitrite oxidizers), then re-dose then too.

Whichever way, the recommendation is still the same.

StarGirl

What I suggest applies regardless. If they are already seeing nitrite, then wait until both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero, then re-dose.
They have not stated they have any Nitrites yet.
If they are measuring some ammonia now and no nitrite, and then the ammonia is consumed and then there is nitrite, then wait for that nitrite to go away then re-dose.
They just have ammonia right now. The OP is not asking about and then. They didn't say anything about Nitrite.
If ammonia drops to zero and nitrite is also at zero (for example because for whatever reason there are already enough nitrite oxidizers), then re-dose then re-dose.
The OP is nowhere near here yet.

I just see thread after thread recently where people start arguing their advise (which is totally fine) and the thing I noticed most is the OP dissapears. Everyone is just arguing still. I agree that everyone has their own opinions but when the OP is gone it no longer matters right?

Everyone needs to remember that Most times these are new fishkeepers and we need to keep it simple and not explain things that will happen weeks from now. The OP just asked about ammonia, that is why I quoted your post. :)

Azedenkae

They have not stated they have any Nitrites yet.

They just have ammonia right now. The OP is not asking about and then. They didn't say anything about Nitrite.

The OP is nowhere near here yet.

I just see thread after thread recently where people start arguing their advise (which is totally fine) and the thing I noticed most is the OP dissapears. Everyone is just arguing still. I agree that everyone has their own opinions but when the OP is gone it no longer matters right?

Everyone needs to remember that Most times these are new fishkeepers and we need to keep it simple and not explain things that will happen weeks from now. The OP just asked about ammonia, that is why I quoted your post. :)
This is also exactly why I gave my advice the way I did. If op is gonna disappear, I'd want to be sure whatever advice op can take away applies long term if possible, rather than op just doing one thing and then messing up a next step by potentially causing a massive nitrite spike and stalling everything and then getting frustrated. Not to mention it IS simple advice to follow.

Lucy

I'm a bit confused anyway.
If the ammonia dropped there should be nitrites present.

Both methods are valid.
Add and wait or dose daily.

If it were me, I'd boost the ammonia to about 3 or 4 then wait for the drop. By then there should be nitrites.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azedenkae
  • Question
Replies
Views
Amber818
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies