Question Do your guppies change color when they are wooing another fish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all!
I adopted two little guppies a few days ago and they are both still pretty small. The Male has a pretty good sized tail and some color, hes sort of a periwinkle with a yellow tale that has black patterning on it. I have noticed that when he is sort of, "wooing" the little girl guppy, he gets a dark dark spot on either side of his body. I was concerned because at first I thought it was a disease or something and checked the articles and forum and nothing matched up...
Now I am thinking this is something to do with display maybe?? Because when he is being calm and swimming around solo, he is completely white/periwinkle. NO spot.
Then when I see him circling the female and trying to swim up close to her, he has this really obvious spot.
I managed to capture a small picture of it on my webcam

You can see what I mean about it being obvious!!!

Does anybody else notice that their guppies change color/patterning at all when this happens??????

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Never heard of that, my guppies black spots have turned a dark metalic blue/purple colors before. Never payed any attention if they were wooing the female at the time. Guess I'll start paying attention.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only reason I have noticed is because its just so obvious in my case, I mean right now I can see him in the tank swimming around stalking the female and that spot is as dark as can be. Just last night I pointed out to my bf that the fish was doing this, I got him to take a look at the spot and then maybe an hour later he was swimming around by himself and I got him to look at it and sure enough it was gone! he didn't believe me!
I am pretty sure the female guppy is too young to mate still, but he seems intent on trying anyways! I am curious to see if this spot stays permanent when he matures...

I managed to catch another picture of him without his spot this time, just to compare:

See?? No spot at all!

Last edited:

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So he goes from no spot, to having a spot? Do you know if they are a certian kind of guppy. My fancy guppys have changed tints before and spots have change slight colors. I'll do some checking around, now you got me interested in finding out.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have no idea what he is, I got him from this guy that was giving away free guppies and snails on Kijiji. I know for sure that he is male and the other one is female, even though she is small she just looks so female.
I am new to fishkeeping, I have tried to do as much research as I can to keep them healthy and I have no idea what this could be! Its just so weird.....Hes healthy and swimming and eating well, its not like its spreading. Right now he has no spot at all, as light as can be. I do not understand.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah the only thing I'm finding so far is light spots turning differant colors when it's feeding time.... I'll keep looking, I gotta go to work, but I'll look more into it when I get home.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you, I am going to keep looking also, I had just hoped maybe someone else had experienced something like this, it would make me feel a little better about it.
So far every issue I have encountered has been easily explained by the articles on here and the advice already posted, but this isn't really anywhere

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most fish when in breeding mode do get brighter and some even change colors. Breeding colors are usually very distinctive.
Carol

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I read about that black spot disease and I am pretty certain he does not have that. Like I said, he is pretty healthy so far, no signs of anything wrong with him other then that weird spot!
I watched him this morning for a good hour and a half, his spot appeared and disappeared 5 times! So far tonight I haven't seen the spot at all, just bizarre.
His colors do not change though, it isn't like any other part of him looks different when he gets that spot.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What type of guppy changes colors???

I posted in the breeding section reguarding my pattern-changing guppy. I noticed my newest addition gets a great big dark blue spot on either side of his body when he is excited. Whether from mating or tank activity, he goes from being a pristine white-periwinkle to having a big ol spot right in the middle of it. Once he calms down, it goes away. The most people could figure is that maybe he is a certain kind if guppy that does that maybe?
Has anybody ever heard of that??

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my opinion from the sounds of it he's just stressed. Many fish get a white tint to them when they are stressed and when they relax they get their color back.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you!

Here are the two links again, I think maybe posting them seperately was confusing. I just didn't get the chance to take the second one until he stopped chasing the female.

----> Him with no spot

-----> Him with his spot

Edit: Also, how can I tell if he is stressed? I am assuming most guppies do not do this when stressed? So far he has stopped hanging out around the top like he was preferring to do on the first day, he has started swimming all around the tank and is eating quite heartily, I got rid of my bully-fish so the inhabitants have quite alot of room and no one is picking on the other as far as I can tell. The water is good, no ammonia or nitrites. Ph is 7.5, Nitrates is 15.

Last edited:
OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have actually noticed that my female guppy has started doing the same thing. Shes lightly patterned naturally anyway, but its pretty soft. They sort of "light up" the same way that the male's spot's do. I think maybe the male has patterning you can't see until he lights up maybe??
I was pretty concerned when I saw her, I couldn't believe it, she looked like someone had put morse code all over her. Its gone now though, but I bet it'll come back later just like the male's!!

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been keeping track of my guppies since your original post, to see if I get any simular results.

My guppies that have the small amount of the cobra guppy mix in thier family line do a very simular thing to your fish, very light spots will turn darker a minute or so after the light comes on in the morning and even darker during feeding.

The more full blooded cobra guppies pretty much stay the same, but colors intensifies a little during feeding.

With the Delta/Fancy guppies, I have notice that thier body colors will turn a pretty metelic tint while they are following around the females in the tank.

Guess it was a little less random then I originally thought.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cobra hey? I can almost see somewhat of a patterning like a snakes on the female, especially when she "lights up", but the male has just a big spot.
I figure they are healthy, I am going to just leave it alone and assume I have some neato guppies that change colors. It would be nice to know, but as long as it isn't a problem, I guess its not really nessessary to know.

Thanks for checking it out for me though! It has put me on the idea of maybe finding out what type of guppies I have. Hopefully there is a place with lots of pictures!

EDIT: Just an update, my female guppy has actually started doing it now too! They must be a weird breed

Last edited:

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey,
It's been a while, but I wanted to let you know I just witness to a T, what you said your fish do. I just added a new female guppy to my breeding tank that had 1 loner male in it. Almost as soon as I added her in, the male got a completely oval dark black spot on it's side about a size of a pea. It's slowing been getting lighter now over the last 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom