Do your fish move leaf litter?

  • Thread starter Leeman75
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Leeman75

Well Known
Member
Messages
793
I've noticed my Electric Blue Acara moving some leaf litter multiple times. I have Magnolia (I think) leaves and I have noticed the fish pulling them by the edge with their mouth and moving them into a different area of the tank. I just watched right now as he moved it almost all the way across my 55 gallon tank.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Is this indicative of something? Breeding? I have 2 EBAs and have never really felt comfortable with my assessment of what sex they are. If they're both the same, they don't have any aggression whatsoever against each other.

It's really funny watching the fish move it though. It's like if you've ever watched a puppy moving around a blanket or pillow.
 
Best Answer - View jake37's answer
  • #2

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,347
My stupid kribs have made an enormous mess of the substrate. Every time i fix everything they come back and make a total mess. First they dug a 3 inch hole by 1 inch wide. Then they decided if it was 3 inches deep it had to be 3 inches wide. Then they stuck the moss ball in the middle of their hole and piled up the substrate so it was 6 inches high outside their 3 inch hole. Sigh. I hate their sense of landscaping.
--
I think what happened is that they originally made a nice snuggle for two but now that their kids are about 6 weeks old they decided they needed a larger home.
 
  • #3

faydout

Well Known
Member
Messages
626
I've got oak leaves in my Keyhole tank, they flip them over to check for food, drag them around the tank, I find some shoved in a cave they couldn't get in without something putting them in there. I can't wait till I get my hands on some IAL or magnolia leaves to see them try and flip those over.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Leeman75

Well Known
Member
Messages
793
faydout said:
I've got oak leaves in my Keyhole tank, they flip them over to check for food, drag them around the tank, I find some shoved in a cave they couldn't get in without something putting them in there. I can't wait till I get my hands on some IAL or magnolia leaves to see them try and flip those over.
How big are your Keyholes? Mine are still pretty small. One is an inch, the other less...so I can't see them doing it yet. My Acaras are pushing 3" though and they definitely like to move them. It's definitely funny to watch. Not any type of fish behavior that I've ever seen from anything I've kept before.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Leeman75

Well Known
Member
Messages
793
jake37 said:
My stupid kribs have made an enormous mess of the substrate. Every time i fix everything they come back and make a total mess. First they dug a 3 inch hole by 1 inch wide. Then they decided if it was 3 inches deep it had to be 3 inches wide. Then they stuck the moss ball in the middle of their hole and piled up the substrate so it was 6 inches high outside their 3 inch hole. Sigh. I hate their sense of landscaping.
--
I think what happened is that they originally made a nice snuggle for two but now that their kids are about 6 weeks old they decided they needed a larger home.
Sounds like what you see from Shellies!
 
  • #6

faydout

Well Known
Member
Messages
626
They're all getting pretty close to 2.75 - 3" now. Not quite fully grown, but getting close. I'm still debating getting a pair of dwarf smiling acaras (Laetacara curviceps) to go in with them.
 
  • #7

jmaldo

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,754
I have a pair of EBA which are my interior decorators. When they are getting ready to spawn they will tug and move plants and leaves. I caught them in action awhile back.

EBA pair Almond2.jpg
EBA Male Almond.jpg

Good Luck!
 
  • #8

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,174
My Apistos also move the leaflitter, as did my cories before and even my cardinals love to pick at it. I guess all fish interact with leaf litter if provided. Especially cichlids that pick at and sift through the substrate anyway will at one point do their thing with the leaves. I let them do what they want, helps with making the tank look even more natural. :)
 
  • #9

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,347
well that was silly repeating the same thing in the same thread.... hum... back to sleep.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Leeman75

Well Known
Member
Messages
793
jmaldo said:
I have a pair of EBA which are my interior decorators. When they are getting ready to spawn they will tug and move plants and leaves. I caught them in action awhile back.

EBA pair Almond2.jpg
EBA Male Almond.jpg

Good Luck!
That looks very familiar!! That's awesome if that's what it means in my tank!!
 
Top Bottom