Do your Bettas flare a lot?

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

So since we're all betta owners, did anyone else have issues with their betta flaring ALOT at his/her own reflection in the tank?

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

One of mine has only ever flared at male guppies. Never his own reflection or even other male bettas. The other one does flare at other bettas, and even poofed up when i first gave him a snail as a buddy. He does seem to pace and show a lot of interest in his own reflection on one side of the tank. It seems to have to do with how the light hits that spot. I made him switch sides with the calmer betta and now there is no flaring they actually appear to cuddle on opposite sides of the divider.

If you think yours is flaring too much and he's been home longer than a day i would try changing the position of the tank or lighting near it. A background might give him a space without a reflection.

3. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Ya i was reading on that, but I honestly dont have any other place to put him. He's on the only dresser in my sons room? And its only one side of the tank, and when the hood light is on

4. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Put some plants or tall decor in tight to that tank wall to break up his reflection? Or try taping a background or pirce of paper to that side. If it's only one side i think it's a lighting issue.

5. SuzanaBanana Member Member

That paper idea is great! Thank you!

6. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

If it works you can replace it with a more attractive background. But as a kids tank an printed out image of his current favorite cartoon character would probably work for everyone.

7. BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

My first betta did that a lot, despite my having a black background, he'd swim back and forth at the back of the tank flaring. Never could really get him to stop, and tbh, I was never really worried about it, but I do think it put him in a bad mood. :p

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

When I had Bettas I used a matt black or dark grey card as a background, I gently scored it with a fork to give it texture & that helped cut down on reflection, also as mentioned above tall fine leaved plants help break up any reflections

9. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Im worried it puts him in a bad mood, he started attacking the glass yesterday

10. Tiph8uh5knee Member Member

I have the opposite problem(?) I've had my male crow tail for over a year and he has never flared before. He was in a tank with guppies for a short time, he's had pet snails, tried the mirror thing. Nothing. I'm not sure if it's something I should worry about..

11. SuzanaBanana Member Member

No maybe he's just very passive, i see it as a good thing that he isnt aggressive, its probably just his personality

12. BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I do think it puts them in a bad mood, but I'm not really sure what to do about it. :/ In any case, I highly doubt it's something you should really be concerned about, imo. I just feel sorry for them attacking themselves when they probably think they're attacking someone else. :p Hmm, actually, people do that too...