Do your bettas change much over time?

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few before and after pictures of bettas when people first get them and then again months-years later and they seem to change so much (fins get bigger, colors change). Do they usually grow and develop their colors after you get them from the pet shop or are these the rarer cases?

And does anyone know how old the typical bettas in a place like Petco or Petsmart are? None of the employees are able to answer my questions!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
All of my bettas who came from those tiny cups (I've had two who came from divided parts of larger tanks) changed color a TON right as soon as they got room to move and clean water. Usually (I THINK) bettas at petstores are 9 months old or so. Many of them are older. The other reason for them to change after they come home is that they have been in nasty water. Their fins rot, get ripped, and so forth. Its not good for healthy fin growth.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From the bettas I have seen pictured here in the last few months, they seem to be selling them younger now than they were before. I would say that I have seen some sold at PetSmart that were in the neighborhood of 3 months old or perhaps a shade younger. Walmart fish are older but then some of the Walmarts are not any longer selling fish. Petco I do not know but since they are selling online now their fish may be getting younger. I did note that Veiltails are only going to be available online now and not in the stores any longer. They are also the only online distributor that I know of who handles Halfmoons. (other than the auctions at places like eBay and Aquabid).

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They wont have veils anymore

But I love veils!!!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know about other petstores, but Petsmart sells males about 3 months old or younger and females at about 5-8 weeks old. That's where I got all of mine.
I think part of the reason they change so much is just because they are younger and change as they grow. Having clean water, large tank, less stress and better food makes a difference too.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
On their website it had the Veiltails listed as ONLINE EXCLUSIVE. It sounds like they are only going to be available online.

Rose

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! I'll be sad if Petco stops carrying veiltails. The one by me currently sells mostly veiltails and a few crowns, but no halfmoons. So I wonder if they'll have a larger selection of crowns if they stop carrying veils in the stores.

I hope my betta evolves his look a little because it would be fun to watch. I feel like his fins are hanging a little longer but I could be imagining that.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here is Alexander when I got him in July of 2006 and now.

His fins and color both changed so you have some changes to look forward to I will nearly gaurantee.

Rose

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a beauty Alexander is! I bet he feels like a bride wearing a big fancy wedding dress It's amazing how much deeper his colors have become.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think sometimes he has to work really hard getting around. Those lovely fins get in his way and if he gets caught in the current of the filter they really toss him about.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Both Petco and Petsmart I have seen selling very young females, though I do not know their exact age. The males seem to be a bit older...perhaps they wait for them to put on a bunch of finnage so people will want to buy them more (which stinks for those who want young Bettas who they know will put on finnage as they grow... ) Well, as for Petco not selling veils...that's too bad, but I do have to say that sometimes a nice CT will sneak in (such as my ddr mustard gas), so I wouldn't be overly sad if they started getting more CT's in. Although, they are more expensive...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom