Do you use the tube that comes with the sponge filter?

Leeman75

Do you use the tube that comes with sponge filters that goes up from the top of the sponge that the airline comes down? See pic of the 2 sponge filters on each side of the tank below. I'm talking about the clear cylinder tube the goes up for a few inches above the sponge.

Sponge Filters.jpg
I have seen on YouTube videos from my favorite three YouTubers that they have sponge filters in their tanks without those cylinders. Is there something that you gain by not using those?

LHAquatics

Do you use the tube that comes with sponge filters that goes up from the top of the sponge that the airline comes down? See pic of the 2 sponge filters on each side of the tank below. I'm talking about the clear cylinder tube the goes up for a few inches above the sponge.

Sponge Filters.jpg
I have seen on YouTube videos from my favorite three YouTubers that they have sponge filters in their tanks without those cylinders. Is there something that you gain by not using those?
I think they just move the bubbles up, If those famous YouTubers removed them, then I don't see a problem. I personally would remove them

Upvote 0

Broggy

the only reason to take them off in my opinion is if it really bothers you when plecos and snails go down them. they still work without I think, but are more efficient with them on

is that anarcharis? it looks so good, mine usually just melts and dies every time I try it.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I don’t have sponge filters but from looking at it, their purpose seems to be preventing the air tubing from kinking and detaching itself from the sponge.

If you’re going to have the tubing in a straight line from the sponge, you don’t need it. But if it goes at an angle, then you should keep it.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I still use mine, but might take a couple off before the plecos get too big to just back out of them.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

The tube is what creates the pressure differential to drive water flow, without the tube the flow will be greatly reduced

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
PurpleReign19
Replies
Views
crystalmemphis
Replies
Views
MasterPython