Do you use a water changer for water changes?

Do you use a water changer for water changes?

• Yes, Python

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • Yes, Aqueon

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Yes, Tera Pump (manual type syphon)

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Yes, Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • No, I don't use one

Votes: 48 36.6%

• Total voters

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those with really small tanks might not use these, but those with larger tanks... do you use one of the "auto" type water changers, like the python or the aqueon, etc?

I've used the python and it made life easier.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not yet. As long as I am still able to do it I will continue to use buckets. At my age I need all the exercise I can get and I actually enjoy doing it this way. One day I might get a dedicated hose for refilling but I am sure I will continue using buckets for removing the water.

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not yet but I definitely need to stream line my process. . . Carrying 15-25 gallons up and down my stairs 5 gallons at a time is getting a bit old

Should note I use a gravel vac (gravity syphon) to drain the water but the hose is way to short to get to a drain of any kind.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Absolutely! And I went from 2 tanks to 20 tanks as a result. Haha!!! It made water changes such a breeze!

I will say I have used both the python and the aqueon. The python is MILES better quality and worth the extra cost.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the aqueon. To me it used too much to syphin out the tank since my sink is slightly higher then my tank. Niw I use a little pond pump and a garden hose out the window. No sense pumping it into my septic system.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use my sump powerheads to dump water out the window (it's a bit higher than the tank water level), and separate water pumps (attached to cheap plastic flexible tubes) to carry water from the reservoir to the tanks. I have a 50, 60, and 55gal, as well as several 20gal tubs for feeder colonies/hospital and i cannot imagine doing weekly 50% water changes on these with buckets (!). I am currently drafting a constant drip system to eventually do away with water changes, just need to find the time to implement it haha.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike said:
Those with really small tanks might not use these, but those with larger tanks... do you use one of the "auto" type water changers, like the python or the aqueon, etc?

I've used the python and it made life easier.
I use a regular siphon and 20' long tube to drain tanks and a Python hook and garden hose to refill-I use these on small and large tanks alike. I have a valve on the python hook to adjust flow and just switch out siphons between tanks (to prevent cross contamination between tanks) on the 20 foot tubing. I use a fish food container between the python hook and the tank lip to suspend the python tip above the surface of the water when filling to prevent cross contamination that way. I have done it this way for decades. Works great for me!

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do not, but just ordered a Python. Looking forward to making my life easier.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I absolutely use one in both my small and larger tanks (55) it was one of the first things I got when I got my 55!

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do not usually use anything more than a gravel vacuum for water changes, as none of my tanks are very large; however, my 5 gallon dirted tank is too close to the ground for me to easily start a siphon with a gravel vacuum, so I use a hydroponics pump to perform water changes on that tank.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I voted for Tera Pump because that selection also said "manual type syphon", but I actually had never heard of a Tera Pump and a Google search suggests that it might be battery operated? I use a syphon that has a hand pump in my big tank, it's a cheap Chinese one but it works well, and I use a Dennerle Nano Pump in my smaller tanks, which also has a hand pump as well as a gravel vacuum and a filter to prevent shrimp from being sucked up in it.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lilirose said:
I voted for Tera Pump because that selection also said "manual type syphon", but I actually had never heard of a Tera Pump and a Google search suggests that it might be battery operated? I use a syphon that has a hand pump in my big tank, it's a cheap Chinese one but it works well, and I use a Dennerle Nano Pump in my smaller tanks, which also has a hand pump as well as a gravel vacuum and a filter to prevent shrimp from being sucked up in it.
It's just a squeeze bulb primer thingy for starting the syphon - here is a tera pump: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-TERA-PUMP-Aquarium-Controller/dp/B011DDJZ9Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tera+pump&qid=1573582349&sr=8-3

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

GabeLeo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure how to vote on this one. One my 110 gallon I put a pump in and send the hose down a drain and turn it on. For the 29 gallon, I just use buckets.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a pond pump attach to the python and drain the tank. When I refill I detach the pond pump and clamp the hose to the tank and turn on the water.

Beats using buckets. Makes changing the 90 and 125 easier.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just bought a water pump this weekend that will allow me to fill my tank automatically after siphoning the water out.

I currently have to stand on a chair with a 5 gallon bucket so I can get a siphon going. It's a pain and probably not the safest way...

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well technically I use a aqueon brand manual syphon, it siphons into a bucket.

But then I took off the sqeezy pump thing and I just suck on one end and the water flows, Then I use buckets to replace water.

So a clear hose to get water out is my vote :)

BaneAquatics

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My question is, does the siphon condition the water at all as you fill your tanks? how do you remove any contaminants? :O I want a python but I fear for the more sensitive fish

AcuarioAmazonico

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would love one but they’re not really available in Australia. Yes you can purchase online but the problem is they don’t seem to attach to our taps (different threads and “outside” thread versus “inside” thread.
I’ve not seen a simple solution - most require advanced plumbing skills, a post graduate degree in engineering, and always assume your tank is by a window overlooking a garden (I.e. dump water) - not in an apartment on the third floor in the city! :)

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use a Tera pump and Buckets, getting the water out is no issue at all, good mini workout. I just need to find a way of getting the water back in better. :D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom