Do you use a water changer for water changes?

Do you use a water changer for water changes?

• Yes, Python

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • Yes, Aqueon

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Yes, Tera Pump (manual type syphon)

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Yes, Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • No, I don't use one

Votes: 48 36.6%

• Total voters

Mike

Those with really small tanks might not use these, but those with larger tanks... do you use one of the "auto" type water changers, like the python or the aqueon, etc?

I've used the python and it made life easier.

mattgirl

Not yet. As long as I am still able to do it I will continue to use buckets. At my age I need all the exercise I can get and I actually enjoy doing it this way. One day I might get a dedicated hose for refilling but I am sure I will continue using buckets for removing the water.

MoshJosh

Not yet but I definitely need to stream line my process. . . Carrying 15-25 gallons up and down my stairs 5 gallons at a time is getting a bit old

Should note I use a gravel vac (gravity syphon) to drain the water but the hose is way to short to get to a drain of any kind.

bizaliz3

Absolutely! And I went from 2 tanks to 20 tanks as a result. Haha!!! It made water changes such a breeze!

I will say I have used both the python and the aqueon. The python is MILES better quality and worth the extra cost.

david1978

I have the aqueon. To me it used too much to syphin out the tank since my sink is slightly higher then my tank. Niw I use a little pond pump and a garden hose out the window. No sense pumping it into my septic system.

vyrille

I use my sump powerheads to dump water out the window (it's a bit higher than the tank water level), and separate water pumps (attached to cheap plastic flexible tubes) to carry water from the reservoir to the tanks. I have a 50, 60, and 55gal, as well as several 20gal tubs for feeder colonies/hospital and I cannot imagine doing weekly 50% water changes on these with buckets (!). I am currently drafting a constant drip system to eventually do away with water changes, just need to find the time to implement it haha.

Momgoose56

Mike said:
Those with really small tanks might not use these, but those with larger tanks... do you use one of the "auto" type water changers, like the python or the aqueon, etc?

I've used the python and it made life easier.
I use a regular siphon and 20' long tube to drain tanks and a Python hook and garden hose to refill-I use these on small and large tanks alike. I have a valve on the python hook to adjust flow and just switch out siphons between tanks (to prevent cross contamination between tanks) on the 20 foot tubing. I use a fish food container between the python hook and the tank lip to suspend the python tip above the surface of the water when filling to prevent cross contamination that way. I have done it this way for decades. Works great for me!

Sorg67

I do not, but just ordered a Python. Looking forward to making my life easier.

kallililly1973

I absolutely use one in both my small and larger tanks (55) it was one of the first things I got when I got my 55!

Joshaeus

I do not usually use anything more than a gravel vacuum for water changes, as none of my tanks are very large; however, my 5 gallon dirted tank is too close to the ground for me to easily start a siphon with a gravel vacuum, so I use a hydroponics pump to perform water changes on that tank.

lilirose

I voted for Tera Pump because that selection also said "manual type syphon", but I actually had never heard of a Tera Pump and a Google search suggests that it might be battery operated? I use a syphon that has a hand pump in my big tank, it's a cheap Chinese one but it works well, and I use a Dennerle Nano Pump in my smaller tanks, which also has a hand pump as well as a gravel vacuum and a filter to prevent shrimp from being sucked up in it.

Mike

lilirose said:
I voted for Tera Pump because that selection also said "manual type syphon", but I actually had never heard of a Tera Pump and a Google search suggests that it might be battery operated? I use a syphon that has a hand pump in my big tank, it's a cheap Chinese one but it works well, and I use a Dennerle Nano Pump in my smaller tanks, which also has a hand pump as well as a gravel vacuum and a filter to prevent shrimp from being sucked up in it.
It's just a squeeze bulb primer thingy for starting the syphon - here is a tera pump:

lilirose

Mike said:
It's just a squeeze bulb primer thingy for starting the syphon - here is a tera pump:
Ah, okay, that's pretty much exactly what I use in my big tank. I looked it up on US Amazon (as Amazon UK had no result) and some of the possibilities were battery operated. :)

GabeLeo

Not sure how to vote on this one. One my 110 gallon I put a pump in and send the hose down a drain and turn it on. For the 29 gallon, I just use buckets.

Fashooga

I use a pond pump attach to the python and drain the tank. When I refill I detach the pond pump and clamp the hose to the tank and turn on the water.

Beats using buckets. Makes changing the 90 and 125 easier.

ystrout

I just bought a water pump this weekend that will allow me to fill my tank automatically after siphoning the water out.

I currently have to stand on a chair with a 5 gallon bucket so I can get a siphon going. It's a pain and probably not the safest way...

FinalFins

Well technically I use a aqueon brand manual syphon, it siphons into a bucket.

But then I took off the sqeezy pump thing and I just suck on one end and the water flows, Then I use buckets to replace water.

So a clear hose to get water out is my vote :)

BaneAquatics

My question is, does the siphon condition the water at all as you fill your tanks? how do you remove any contaminants? :O I want a python but I fear for the more sensitive fish

AcuarioAmazonico

I would love one but they’re not really available in Australia. Yes you can purchase online but the problem is they don’t seem to attach to our taps (different threads and “outside” thread versus “inside” thread.
I’ve not seen a simple solution - most require advanced plumbing skills, a post graduate degree in engineering, and always assume your tank is by a window overlooking a garden (I.e. dump water) - not in an apartment on the third floor in the city! :)

jinjerJOSH22

I use a Tera pump and Buckets, getting the water out is no issue at all, good minI workout. I just need to find a way of getting the water back in better. :D

lilirose

BaneAquatics said:
My question is, does the siphon condition the water at all as you fill your tanks? how do you remove any contaminants? :O I want a python but I fear for the more sensitive fish
My understanding is that you add Prime or another conditioner to the tank and then use the Python and this takes care of conditioning. I use RO water because of truly awful tap water where I live, so a Python will never be an option for me. I use a bucket with a pump to refill my tanks.

Canacullus

I use 40 feet of tubing hooked up to a submersible water pump. It is awesome.

tuffcookie

I’m wondering, does anyone use a water changer for filling up the water in the tank from a bucket instead of a faucet, instead of dumping the water directly from the bucket?

jasmine-smith

tuffcookie said:
I’m wondering, does anyone use a water changer for filling up the water in the tank from a bucket instead of a faucet, instead of dumping the water directly from the bucket?
Yes I'm pretty sure I do what you're describing. I've learned that it causes way less stress for me because I fear my fish going under the stream of the bucket and getting pummeled to the rocks.

Wraithen

I use a python. Waste water is siphoned to my front yard and rose bushes. I add a double dose of safe right after I start adding water from the faucet. I can't mess with buckets for a 180 gallon tank.

For those interested in pumping pre treated water from a trash can or si.ilar, salt water has been doing this forever. They treat and heat the new water with a circulating pump running, then connect a pump from the bottom of the can to a hose and pump it to the tank/sump.

StarGirl

Mine is a Python but it is manual. It has a suction ball on the end.

My question is what are the people doing that "don't use one" Not change water?

lilirose

StarGirl15 said:
My question is what are the people doing that "don't use one" Not change water?
I personally think the poll didn't take into account that some people use an unbranded syphon rather than one of the ones named in the poll. I was certainly confused at first because the only branded syphon I have wasn't named, and the sort of unbranded gravel vacuum that I have used as long as I've kept aquariums also was not named- I actually don't even know what to call it. The end that goes in the tank looks like a Python but the other end doesn't attach to a sink, it just works on gravity and drains into a bucket.

smee82

I just use a soft plastic piping to drain my tank and store the water in plastic bottles for watering my houseplants and another hose to refill it

Theosprey247

Yes. It’s called my son.

Suzanne2

I use a hose hooked to my sink faucet to fill the tanks and another hose out the window into my lawn to siphon them out. Does that count as a water changer? Not sure...

BettaNgold

Python all the way! I can clean 8 tanks and 75% water changes in just a couple of hours with it.

lisa99

I voted "Other". My FX4 filter has a water changing system built in. That feature alone was worth the bit of extra cost since the Python doesn't really work for me. I don't care for how much water is wasted in using the Python.

AcuarioAmazonico

lisa99 said:
I voted "Other". My FX4 filter has a water changing system built in. That feature alone was worth the bit of extra cost since the Python doesn't really work for me. I don't care for how much water is wasted in using the Python.
is it gravity based or will it empty into a sink above canister height?

goldface

I use a extra length of hose for canister filters or ponds to suction water out, and use a garden hose for filling.

lisa99

On the FX4 I use gravity. I think you can leave the motor running to actively pump but my patio door is 20 ft from the tank so I just use a water hose connected to the filter + gravity.

EmmGood

I just started the hobby over the summer, and the only thing I had was a gravel vac and a foldable 2 gallon bucket. I started to get more tanks and that was consuming so much of my time, upwards of 2+ hours for the 10+ aquariums that have sprouted in my apartment in tandem, hahaha.

Right now I have two foldable buckets, and three 5 gallon heavy duty buckets to do my changes with the gravel vac. I'm seriously due to change my ways soon, getting up super early in the morning to do it before work is eating me away slowly. x'D

Top Bottom