Do You Use A Phone Camera To Take Aquarium Photos?

2fishinabowl

Not sure where to post this. Let me know if there is a better place.

So we're starting to experiment with the "Pro" mode on our Samsung phone cameras for better pictures of the aquarium. This pic for example had the following settings :
Exposure 1/125
F Stop 1.5
ISO 80

1/125 seems to be just about the right speed to freeze those little Danios without blur. Any advice from the photography geeks on here or are we just expecting too much from a smart phone?

StarGirl

I have a Samsung also. I think I have used both modes. I just take pictures until I get a good one then delete the rest.

Betta'sAnonymous

I use my phone for all my fish and aquarium photos because it is handy. I haven't messed with the settings though other than whether or not to have flash on. I always forget i have an actual camera!

Ryngwrayth

I use my phone camera for everything. Iphone 11pro max. Great camera...and the main reason I buy iPhones.

I let the camera focus and do most of the work once I have the composition right. Sometimes it is a matter of tapping to focus and grabbing the shot after waiting for a specific fish to swim into frame.

I do PP with the Snapseed app, like the below shot.

For shooting raw and manually, where you mess with everything, I find the Hallide app to be extremely good.

reference: I own a Nikon D90 dslr, and almost never use it because my phone can handle everything but distanced telephoto shots extremely well.

V1K

I don't have any other kind of camera, and my Sony phone leaves much to be desired when photographing small moving objects...

2fishinabowl

Ryngwrayth said:
I use my phone camera for everything. Iphone 11pro max. Great camera...and the main reason I buy iPhones.

I let the camera focus and do most of the work once I have the composition right. Sometimes it is a matter of tapping to focus and grabbing the shot after waiting for a specific fish to swim into frame.

I do PP with the Snapseed app, like the below shot.

For shooting raw and manually, where you mess with everything, I find the Hallide app to be extremely good.
I'll check those out. I'm just learning about raw. Seems like overkill but maybe worth looking at anyway. I'm pretty sure Samsung can make that.

Your photo looks so clear and beautiful! Thanks.

Dhmario

I use my iPhone 11 Pro Max camera because I have no other camera lol. This phone has a great camera but idk about all of the elements of a good picture. I just focus and snap the pic.

Ryngwrayth

Composition and lighting. You can compensate A LOT for lighting with PP apps. To a scary extent, LOL!

But composition is something you have to mostly get right when you shoot. That is knowing when and what to shoot. Not shooting from too high, low or wide, watching for flare or glare, making sure your subject/s are in a pleasing arrangement.

I love photography but I approach it organically vs technically. Not everyone does and both ways are equally useful and appropriate. I couldn’t tell you thing one about f stops or white balances but I know it is right when I see it.

My favorite shooting subjects are my pets and nature, and spontaneous vs portrait

Dhmario

Dhmario said:
I use my iPhone 11 Pro Max camera because I have no other camera lol. This phone has a great camera but idk about all of the elements of a good picture. I just focus and snap the pic.

noobscaper

I just use my iPhone 6 Plus and hope for the best
Here's a shot of my angel

2fishinabowl

Dhmario said:
That's what I started out doing but my fish move too fast.
Those look great!

aquachris

I have a pixel 3a and it sucks at taking aquarium pics. For general pics, I love it... but I just cannot get decent pics with aquariums... I really need to figure out a way to get better pics.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom