Do You Use A Circulation Pump?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by WilsonGonzalez, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Do you use a circulation pump?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. WilsonGonzalez

WilsonGonzalezNew MemberMember

Hello Everyone!

I see that most in the hobby use an air pump, but I rarely hear of someone using a circulation pump. I was wondering how many of you use them, and what are some of their benefits or reasons as to why you use them. I personally like seeing fish swimming against the current in big tanks and have contemplated getting one for my tank, although that seems to be an unpopular opinion.

Tell me what you all think, as well as some experiences you might have had with circulation pumps.

2. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I use multiple. Obviously not in every aquarium but my larger tanks have one or more. My river tank has a very fast flow rate pump because the livestock need the current. In some of my cichlid tanks I use them for the Congo tetra

3. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

This is true ! I dont know why it is though. I have a marine tank too where the flow is absolutely needed for filtration through live rocks but also i love watching my clowns play in the flow. Personally i think it would be a good addition to a fw set up too i almost got one for my 55gal but just never bothered, it would be good though as it stops stuff from settling.

Perfect examples of how to use them in the fw, like you wouldn't put an angel fish in a fast flow its just common sense mainly. Think im gonna youtube a river tank after seeing this.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I use power heads on the tanks with UG filters. Also, canisters move water the way a circulation pump would.

5. Jamieson22

Jamieson22Well Known MemberMember

I have a Hydor Koralia 1150gph on the opposite side from my FX6 output on my 125g. I also have 4 angels ;)

6. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I have one in the cichlid tank, one in the sw tank and one in my brackish tank. My cichlids LOVE it, clowns do too...right now I put one in the brackish tank to help with oxygen, I've got a little outbreak of ich going on.

7. grantm91

Oh i thought they wouldn't like it lol, im sat here reading these and my gf has just ordered me an 8000lph one with a controller and everything off amazon, it has settings such as night modes and feeding.

No way you have a brackish tank too, im itching to get a figure8 puffer i just want like a 90 litre cube thing i have 3 tanks now though soo probably wont be getting one. What do you have in there ? Can i see a pic?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  8. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I'll have to see if I can set up my computer to take a pic of it, it is a total work in progress, I've got a dragon goby and he likes to dig and re arrange things for me lol. I've just got some mollies, guppies and platies in it.

9. grantm91

Ah right id like a look you can post a pic on one of my threads when ever if you dont mind

10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

It always depends on the fish, as far as freshwater goes.
    In my Congo River tanks, I use a very strong flow.
    In tanks for fish from smaller streams, I don't.
    I take the view you have to design the tank for the fish that go in it, and that includes respecting whether or not they are adapted to flow, or come from fast water with higher oxygen content.

11. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

Using it depends on the fish tank size and the fish variety. As you can see in this thread, many mention about their particular fish and the tank size.

12. OP
    OP
    WilsonGonzalez

WilsonGonzalezNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone for your input! I love reading the replies and learning from your experiences.
    I currently only own 1 tank and I plan for my second tank to be a hill stream tank, so I wanted to learn a bit from your experiences and use for a circulation pump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice