Do You Turn Off Your Filter/heater During Water Changes?

Handelma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you turn off your filter/heater during water changes? I always do, but I'm not sure that its necessary, mainly I just don't want my little guppies pushed around by the flow as the water level gets lower.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should turn them off. For one thing if the heater isn't in water it will overheat as will the pump in a filter if ran to long without water. Turning the heater off is a must, it can and they do break if still plugged in out of water.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't turn off the heater unless it goes halfway out of the water if sitting vertically, or completely if horizontally.

Aquadisiac

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I always unplug both. During a 50% WC, the water drops below the intake of the filter. Both are easily unplugged and plugged back in after so I’d rather be safe than sorry and not stress my equipment.

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes! I have had to remind myself of this both times I have changed water (new aquarium, first time in the hobby)...so now since I keep forgetting I posted a note above my bucket and siphon to remind myself lol.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have my heater low and horizontal and my filter intake is pretty low in the tank so no I don't bother turning either off.

SarahBear1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I unplug everything but the lights. My heater is not one that can be fully submerged. It has two lines and the water line of my tank can only go between those two lines. So, its safer to unplug it.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don’t. I have a canister filter so easier not to turn off. I just make sure it didn’t get below the intake and suck in air. As far as the heater goes as long as you are not adding cold water as it could crack the heater due to temp difference.

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the intake tube goes below the water line, it will suck air and quit moving water.
Good heaters can go at least half way (water level) down safely.
30% water changes for me take 30 minutes at most. Just did one today. Unplugged nothing.

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All my equipment is on a power strip. So I just turn the whole tank of during a water change. I don’t want to be splashed, or equipment fail because it’s not submerged.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I never turn off my heater. Just my filter since the intake is out of the water when I do my 50% water changes.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is a “water change?”

You know I am kidding.......Right?

But yes, I Turn them off. Every aquarium is on its own power strip so it is a simple flip of one switch.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I never turn anything off. my heater is horizontal and close to the bottom of all my tanks and I never WC more water than the level of my filter intakes. Obviously other than doing filter maintenance then that’s the first thing I do is unplug it and put all the media in a bucket of tank water n go about my WC then clean the media in tank water and replace the polyfill... it’s always worked well for me.

Mary_Selix

Reaction score
Two different methods for me. I always turn filter (half hour before cleaning) to calm the water and using the air stone while filter is off to make vacuuming easier (makes everything settle to the bottom). I turn heater off completely while vacuuming and anything more than a 50% water change I shuffle it lower to water level when refilling with prepared water from the night before to be sure to dechlorinate thoroughly. As I refill I shuffle heater down to water and slowly raise it with the water level as it rises to make sure if water is cooler then should be it heats it as it fills. But to each their own.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, having learned the hard way (shocked from from a faulty heater) I always turn everything off before putting my hands in the tank, better safe than sorry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom