Do You Treat Topping Off Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

The water of my aquarium evaporates between water changes and I have to top it off. Do you treat the water used for topping off or no?

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

If it is more than like a half gallon I do, for my big tanks at least...for a little tank, I always do.

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

With fry, yes. With my larger fish, no.

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

If your tap has chlorine in it, yes, I would.

5. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I keep a big 35 gallon tote filled with water that I don't treat, by time i get to it the chlorine evaporates and I use this for top offs. Back in the day before dechlorinators were widely used it was common to have a house full of distilling water in empty milk jugs and buckets. 24 hours is usually plenty for the water tp gas off. Though I certainly treat all my water now since I don't trust my tap after the many mishaps I've experienced (for water changes)

6. fishnewbie33Well Known MemberMember

How much evaporation is there? Do you have a cover on the tank? If you add Aquarium salt, remember that while the water evaporates the salt remains behind to don't add more salt.
    I always treat any tank water I add. You can either just treat the water before it's added to the tank, or treat all water in tank if untreated water added.

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Yes, always treat your water. I always have a 7g on reserve, so I don't have to treat water every time.

8. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Always treat your water or leave a gallon jug sit out for a few days before putting it in the tank. When/if I need to "top off" my tank, I just use the amount my water conditioner says to use in 1 gallon of water - let it sit for a good few minutes just to make sure there's no heavy metals or chlorine, and then it's good to use. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Using water conditioner in a gallon jug insures the water is getting the correct amount of treatment, and it's also not good to put water conditioner directly into a tank (it'll kill good bacteria). Sorry for rambling :)

9. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, or else you are introducing chlorine.

10. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Yep i always treat my water when doing top offs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice