Do You Think This Website Have Marketers From Various Companies Masquerading As Hobbyists To Sell? - Page 2

ValerieAdams

Lacey D said:
Wait...coupons count?? OK. Um, then I get a nifty discount at Aquarium Co-Op, as a member of the GSAS and their mailing list. Sorry, but they're actually my local fish store, and I used them before I found out about the channel or the online site :/

I do share Cory's videos a lot. But also usually along with others, and the caveat "OK...he's REALLY long winded, but there's some good info in there"

Mike --would there be any way to give honest reviews about our dealings with manufacturers/retailers, or would it just be a place for retailers to come and talk about new products? That would also be cool But I do see a lot of people asking about places to buy fish, etc, and it might be handy to have a "recommended" or "buyer beware!" section.
There is actually already a forum for reviews.

Reviews - Equipment, Products, etc.

Rylan

david1978 said:
Buy snap on tools. Lol. Only company I have ever gotten a discount from.

All I can say is if anyone on here is being paid to promote a product the company should demand their money back because they are doing a poor job at promoting anything .
Haha. I used to sell those! Jk. Most of the time how it worked for me was was I’d say to a coworker ‘I need a random outdoor item’ and they’d say well we get a discount with X company. And then I’d say cool cuz I don’t have any real cash right now!

It was rarely about genuinely liking the brand or promoting it lol it was about coupons.

I agree. They should ask for their money back or their coupons, whatever it is.

bizaliz3

A while back I was encouraging people to try the led lights I got off Ebay cuz I liked them so much. There was a person accusing me of being the actual seller trying to advertise. Lol

bizaliz3

Vijay said:
I am very intrigued that almost every post here has some suggestions about a commercial product. Could there be marketers in this forum who are hired by companies and are asked to push products while pretending to be hobbyists.
It's called "word-of-mouth" not marketing. When your product is great and a lot of people use it and love it they're going to share with others and that word-of-mouth is free advertisement.
That is what you are seeing here. I think you are digging for a conspiracy where there isn't any.

midna

i've never thought about this, but I suppose there could maybe be some of it. but more like... in a less cut-and-dry way.

I used to work at a small advertising agency that dealt in social media. we had a couple clients whose products we were trying to get more exposure for. one tactic was to comment on people's blogs, form a correspondence, and then eventually ask if they'd be interested in representing our products on their blog. I can see how something like that could happen, but on a smaller scale. someone that works for a company might join a big forum related to their product's target audience either for work or their own personal leisure, but since they are informed about their product, might try to represent it in some way.

I would also personally recommend my clients' products to people I knew or on my own social media. I was usually trying to help expand the brand, but I was also doing it because I personally did like the products, and I like to share stuff that I like. I would also not recommend some of their products that I disliked, lol.

but I think a lot of it on this forum is just people recommending what they know and like.

Fashooga

I’m sure there are members here that do work for companies in this industry. Most are probably careful what they write.

I for one lean towards products that I’ve used, fluvel, Marineland and whatever. I do often wonder when I post stuff if I sound like an advertiser, I do have a degree in that field.

DestinyStars

Its possible, most of the time is just me recommending what I use and know works.

Vijay

Thankfully the site owners and mods have responded.

Vijay

Mike said:
I suppose there could be marketers on here without us knowing but if we found out they would be banned because it would be considered advertising and against the forum rules.

This does bring up something I was thinking about adding... an aquarium product manufacturers sub-forum. I would reach out to mfg’s and ask if they would be interested in having a board here. Then they could “market” their products and maybe answer questions and stuff.

Also, someone asked about posting bad links. You would only get banned if the link at the time it was posted was bad or inappropriate. And by bad I mean something that is highly offensive.
The fact that you have acknowledged that there could be marketers out here is exactly what I wanted hear. There is no way you would be able to tell whether someone is advertising or not and even if they do, it is not a big deal. It's business after all. There are a lot of forums wherein the site owners have cut a deal with companies to market products covertly. Thankfully, you claI'm that does not happen here. There are some people who have negative opinions towards dirted tank approach, open any forum about Walstad tank you could find someone trying to discredit the method which works or are trying to commercialize it. Use dirt, but use our wonderful branded sand or clay cap, buy plants from this wonderful website, dirted tank plus fertilizer dosing is great use our wonderful liquid fertilizers, you cannot use the regular CFLs or LED instead use our wonderful planted lights, our wonderful CO2 cylinder and so on so forth. It's pretty obvious.

SLB1986

lol, like most have said - id be surprised if there weren't people in the forums representing a company or store. but unless they explicitly advocate for a particular brand or treatment that is inappropriate to the situation then who cares.

Bryangar

Who cares?

SLB1986

You can't tell me that most people that work in the fish industry are not also hobbyists, at least on some level. So they have every right to be here as persons. As I said as long as they aren't advocating for inappropriate products then I really don't care.

Just don't flood the forums with advertising and be normal human beings and its fine. My main concern is bots and spammers. As long as they arn't doing those things I don't see a problem.

Discus-Tang

I don't know really; I haven't been here long enough. All I can say is that most of them wouldn't last very long. It's usually quite obvious if someone only suggests one single brand. But +1 on the 'ask [company]' forum, as long as their representatives are limited to that section.

Aqua Hands

FishFor2018 said:
So not only are we going to pay for the products we have to pay for the website? Naw I’m good lol
Free PurpleMeals Betta Bites

stella1979

Thanks for the laugh guys.

ASHLEY R COOK

I think we would spot a company posting/commenting within moments. They don't give the best advice when it comes to fish keeping. Lol!

Ddogg2287

I could see people doing that. It's a very common sales tactic, they even have "professional review composers" that talk up a product. I've only had someone bash the easy green that I suggested. Told me it was watered down and a waste of money. But it made my plants greener so w/e

Lacey D

Ddogg2287 said:
I could see people doing that. It's a very common sales tactic, they even have "professional review composers" that talk up a product. I've only had someone bash the easy green that I suggested. Told me it was watered down and a waste of money. But it made my plants greener so w/e
I have had more success with it than Florish Excel, but then again I think I was using the excel wrong, or at the wrong time. *shrugs*

I think one of the most important things I've learned here is that even if you DO have a product that you love and that works great for you (and you have coupons for!!)...it works great for YOU. Someone else is going to have different water, different plants, different fish, different lighting, etc, and something else might just to work BETTER for them. That's why I like hearing all the different options and products. And why it IS a little frustrating when people are completely dismissing a good product that just didn't work well for them, or just because they have something else they prefer. I mean, Dustin's Fishtanks makes a fertilizer also that I was thinking of trying after Easy Green...but since (as I said above), I live in the same town as Aquarium Co-Op and other stuff is made with other (like East Coast) water conditions in mind... *Shrugs*

Still, I'm in this hobby because I love 1)learning, 2) experimenting, and 3)having the healthiest setups I can <3

CanadianFishFan

I would be interested in giveing honest reviews on certain products. Also interested on Companys sub forum idea.

Wraithen

Reviews section is already available.

Marketeers is not very likely. The subtlety with which they would have to craft their posts would be pretty similar to no marketing at all.

Influencers I could easily see, but I don't think its very many if any. The reason is that while most of us are very gentle and accepting, most of us will be pretty vocal about dissatisfaction with products in this hobby, as anything not used or diy is generally expensive for what it is. You can only push a product so hard to this group and I think the gold standards don't need to buy influence, and everyone else just gets what's left after. I don't see much incentive to buy influence on these boards in particular, except with lighting lol. Say you tested par at 24 inches below water to substrate and got a good number and I can promise you'll have sold 10 expensive lights that day lol.

Kjeldsen

Not gonna lie, I wondered the same thing at first, mainly because Prime is so heavily advocated. Don't get me wrong, I like it because it's cheaper and more concentrated, but it basically works the same as most sulphur based conditioners. Heck even table salt will detox nitrite.

bizaliz3

Kjeldsen said:
Not gonna lie, I wondered the same thing at first, mainly because Prime is so heavily advocated. Don't get me wrong, I like it because it's cheaper and more concentrated, but it basically works the same as most sulphur based conditioners. Heck even table salt will detox nitrite.
If that's true, why don't other companies make the same claI'm then? Wouldn't you want to advertise that your product detoxifies ammonia/nitrites/nitrates??? Prime is the only product that claims to do so. And as a result, many people gravitate towards it. It is the primary reason that people choose prime over other conditioners. So if the company wants to compete, then they should make the same claim! right?? This leads me to believe other products do not do what prime does, or they would say so!

So unless the other products make the same claim, I am sticking with prime. It makes me feel better since my tap water has ammonia in it. The prime protects my fish while the BB eats up the added ammonia.

Vijay

bizaliz3 said:
If that's true, why don't other companies make the same claI'm then? Wouldn't you want to advertise that your product detoxifies ammonia/nitrites/nitrates??? Prime is the only product that claims to do so. And as a result, many people gravitate towards it. It is the primary reason that people choose prime over other conditioners. So if the company wants to compete, then they should make the same claim! right?? This leads me to believe other products do not do what prime does, or they would say so!

So unless the other products make the same claim, I am sticking with prime. It makes me feel better since my tap water has ammonia in it. The prime protects my fish while the BB eats up the added ammonia.
This is exactly the kind of blatant defense of a particular product that makes one feel that people like you could be marketers. By stating that other companies are not making the same claI'm you are indirectly saying that Prime has a "great" product and so it has the right to advertise its product here covertly. It could just be that Prime is a monopoly, it does not mean that there aren't any smaller product but nobody would talk about it and if they do, face retribution for doing so.

Other products which could do what Prime does: NovaAqua Plus, Amquel Plus, HikarI Ultimate, API Stress Coat, Ultimate Water Conditioner. Now I'll wait for fierce defenders of Prime who are genuinely so impressed by Prime through their years of being in the aquarium hobby and not because they are paid influencers (sarcasm).

Rylan

Vijay said:
This is exactly the kind of blatant defense of a particular product that makes one feel that people like you could be marketers. By stating that other companies are not making the same claI'm you are indirectly saying that Prime has a "great" product and so it has the right to advertise its product here covertly. It could just be that Prime is a monopoly, it does not mean that there aren't any smaller product but nobody would talk about it and if they do, face retribution for doing so.
Retribution? I’m intrigued. What retribution do they face and from whom?

midna

Vijay said:
Other products which could do what Prime does: NovaAqua Plus, Amquel Plus, HikarI Ultimate, API Stress Coat, Ultimate Water Conditioner. Now I'll wait for fierce defenders of Prime who are genuinely so impressed by Prime through their years of being in the aquarium hobby and not because they are paid influencers (sarcasm).
man, I WISH I was a paid influencer. I want that $$$$$

also,,, i'd say you suspiciously sound like a paid influencer for NovaAqua Plus, Amquel Plus, HikarI Ultimate, API Stress Coat, and Ultimate Water Conditioner!!!!!

bizaliz3

Vijay said:
So because I'm curious why these other products don't disclose that they detoxify those things if they do....you think I'm a marketer. That's hilarious.

Vijay

Rylan said:
Retribution? I’m intrigued. What retribution do they face and from whom?
Retribution might be a strong word. I only meant to say that they at the receiving end of comments. Let's face it big fish eats small fish. You must have seen it in your aquarium. Likewise, big companies eat small companies. I agree, Prime is the god of water conditioners. Happy?

midna said:
man, I WISH I was a paid influencer. I want that $$$$$

also,,, i'd say you suspiciously sound like a paid influencer for NovaAqua Plus, Amquel Plus, HikarI Ultimate, API Stress Coat, and Ultimate Water Conditioner!!!!!
How did you know?

Rylan

Vijay said:
Retribution might be a strong word. I only meant to say that they at the receiving end of comments. Let's face it big fish eats small fish. You must have seen it in your aquarium. Likewise, big companies eat small companies. I agree, Prime is the god of water conditioners. Happy?
You seem really concerned about this and I just don’t really understand why. I’m sorry this issue is so troublesome for you.

People recommend to friends the products they like and that’s all I ever really see on this forum and prime is a popular product.

For example, in bike shops, casual cyclists use Slime, known to bike shops as a mediocre product though it performs the same function, but pro shops and avid cyclists more likely use stans sealant or something considered higher grade and will probably reccomend it to people on forums and to friends without being paid to do so.

Prime is the Stan’s Sealant of aquaria lol. It may or may not be for a good reason and there probably is better products, but it works for people and it has a good reputation.

We all have free will friend, just because someone recommends something to you doesn’t mean you have to use it. So if using another product floats your boat then use it.

For me personally I just really don’t care if people offer suggestions and people always say what brands works for them, especially in niche hobbies like this one.

I also think it’s a matter of what’s available. All those brands you listed I have never seen in my local fish store lol and most of us just talk about what we feel we know.

Vijay

Rylan said:
You seem really concerned about this and I just don’t really understand why. I’m sorry this issue is so troublesome for you.

People recommend to friends the products they like and that’s all I ever really see on this forum and prime is a popular product.

For example, in bike shops, casual cyclists use Slime, known to bike shops as a mediocre product thought it performs the same function, but pro shops and avid cyclists more likely use stans sealant or something considered higher grade will probably reccomend it to people on forums and to friends without being paid to do so.

Prime is the Stan’s Sealant of aquaria lol. It may or may not be for a good reason, but it works for people and it has a good reputation.

We all have free will friend, just because someone recommends something to you doesn’t mean you have to use it. So if using another product floats your boat than use it.

For me personally I just really don’t care if people offer suggestions and people always say what brands works for them, especially in niche hobbies like this one.

I also think it’s matter of what’s available. All those brands you listed I have never seen in my local fish store lol and most of us just talk about what we feel we know.
Let's look at what you did here. Firstly you think I am "troubled" by this issue. I am not. I just want to know why people are so defensive about a particular product which make it seem like they are marketing things. Thanks for your concern though. I said, I will receive backlash for speaking about a monopoly (Prime) which I did and will continue to receive. Not only have you tried to credit Prime but you have summarily discredited other brands as well. If your local fish store does not stock it, it does not mean that others stores don't do so, it does not mean that it is not available online. Some of the brands I have mentioned are popular too.

Discus-Tang

HIKARI TAMES THEIR HUNGER!

rylan can I have a free bottle of prime

Rylan

Vijay said:
Let's look at what you did here. Firstly you think I am "troubled" by this issue. I am not. I just want to know why people are so defensive about a particular product which make it seem like there are marketing things. Thanks for your concern though. I said, I will receive backlash for speaking about a monopoly (Prime) which I did and will continue to receive. Not only have you tried to credit Prime but you have summarily discredited other brands as well. If your local fish store does not stock it, it does not mean that others stores don't do so, it does not mean that it is not available online. Some of the brands I have mentioned are popular too.
Haha well then I guess 80% of Fishlore works for Seachem.

That may be, but the bottom line is none of those are easily accessible to ME. If they were maybe I’d try them. But they’re not. So I don’t know them and I can’t speak for what I don’t use or know.

At any rate, I’m all conspiracy’d out.

So I’m off to go market some Prime and Purple Betta Flakes!

Discus-Tang said:
HIKARI TAMES THEIR HUNGER!

rylan can I have a free bottle of prime
Lol! Yeah I’ll add you to my growing list of people to send free samples to! I’ll throw in Purple Meals Betta Flakes too. You loyal customer you!

Discus-Tang

Seachem Prime is the best product I've ever used! It smells like rotten eggs and costs too much! Buy Seachem Prime for Too Much Money at your local fish store today!

(JK, I love you prime)

smee82

For as much as my vote counts I vote no with having a subforum for companies its not needed.

As for prime being marketed here I don't believe it is. Its just a well known brand that's popular and I belive its also the cheapest to use for most people. No I don't use it I use a no name chinese brand pills that are cheaper and work just as well.

And to be honest I don't see how someone could get paid for promoting something on fishlore anyway unless it was their own product so its really a moot issue.

AquaBaby

Vijay said:
I am very intrigued that almost every post here has some suggestions about a commercial product.
Well, I've read through this thread, and here is how I feel regarding my interpretation of your (OP) thoughts behind the original post...

(Hypothetical)
Me: Hey, guys! I am having an issue. I got a job but it's 45 miles from my house. Because of my other commitments, I really don't have the time to walk there and make it when my shift starts. Anyone know what I can do that might help me with this situation? I really want to try and make this job work out.

Response: Oh, I had that very same issue before! I found these instructions on how to make what they call a vehicle. First, you need to mine ore. But, you have to find the right ore. This is very important for the next steps, because you are going to be smelting the ore to make different parts to construct your vehicle.... (and so on)

.....That wouldn't help me. The kind of response I'd want would be more like, "Hey, I have a 2015 Chevy Sonic that I got new in 2016. Since it was the previous year's unsold stock, the price was very affordable. It is really reliable, gets great gas mileage..."

Does that mean that the person helping me out is a Chevy dealer? Or does that mean it works great for him and he just wants to help someone else out with his personal positive experience? Does that mean it's a commercial response because they didn't tell me how to build a car from scratch?

I've seen lots of varied advice on here... yes, there are specific products mentioned but there's also a lot of ya just need good ol' maintained water.

If someone came at me with the instructions for creating Prime instead of just naming Prime, I'm not sure how helpful it would be to me.

Others experiences and knowledge are important to me. If something works, or just as importantly didn't work, I would sure like to know! I still do my own checking, too. But, it gives me a great place to start and invaluable insight. It definitely saves time and frustration... and more than one fish's life.

As far as how to respond appropriately to your post, I'm not sure if there is a good way. It's posed more as a debate question, so any response can be rebutted.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents about "commercialized responses"....

ValerieAdams

Vijay said:

API Stress Coat doesn't detoxify ammonia and nitrites though? I have that and Prime, I got API first because many people on here do use it. But then I wanted something that helps ammonia and nitrites just in case I ever have that problem. I've never heard of the rest but I feel if they had the same claims (detoxifies ammonia and nitrites) they would probably be just as popular. Maybe they do have the same claims but I've never seen them sold in my LFS, only one of my LFS even has Prime

Platylover

You know, if this is supposed to be a debate I haven’t once see you acknowledge that there may be a significant number of people who are simply showing love for a brand that doesn’t pay them, the other side of the debate. It comes off as if you only want to hear your side of the debate and nothing else.

If this is supposed to be a question then you’ve heard some people answers and pretty much said you think they are Liers.

Either way I don’t particularly see how this has been a useful debate or question besides the fact that we know that Mike is thinking about a new marketers corner. This whole thread seems significantly more like a weird test of a forum than anything else.

Something else I’ve noticed is that both the members you’ve accused of being a marketer have been members for years and are VIP’s. Is there a reason for that? Or just quincidence both are extremely well know throughout the forum? Guess I’ve got a conspiracy of my own now.

P.S. if you are thinking people are being defensive about prime in this thread then I’d believe you are very wrong. If anyone is being defensive it’s likely because our acquaintances on this forum have practically been called liers and no matter how many people say one side of the debate, you don’t seem to acknowledge it at all. So it’s not unlikely people will be a little defensive when it seems like you are calling us liers when we haven’t even done what you’ve suspect (even if some have, not all of us have).

goldface

You’re starting to sound paranoid or at least a bit too concerned and preoccupied than what’s, in my opinion, normal. Early on, you said you didn’t really care, but your responses say otherwise. Not everyone is out to get you or hoodwink you out of your money.

Aqua Hands

Rylan said:
Haha well then I guess 80% of Fishlore works for Seachem.

That may be, but the bottom line is none of those are easily accessible to ME. If they were maybe I’d try them. But they’re not. So I don’t know them and I can’t speak for what I don’t use or know.

At any rate, I’m all conspiracy’d out.

So I’m off to go market some Prime and Purple Betta Flakes!

Lol! Yeah I’ll add you to my growing list of people to send free samples to! I’ll throw in Purple Meals Betta Flakes too. You loyal customer you!
*Purple Meals Betta Flakes*
Platylover said:
You know, if this is supposed to be a debate I haven’t once see you acknowledge that there may be a significant number of people who are simply showing love for a brand that doesn’t pay them, the other side of the debate. It comes off as if you only want to hear your side of the debate and nothing else.

If this is supposed to be a question then you’ve heard some people answers and pretty much said you think they are Liers.

Either way I don’t particularly see how this has been a useful debate or question besides the fact that we know that Mike is thinking about a new marketers corner. This whole thread seems significantly more like a weird test of a forum than anything else.

Something else I’ve noticed is that both the members you’ve accused of being a marketer have been members for years and are VIP’s. Is there a reason for that? Or just quincidence both are extremely well know throughout the forum? Guess I’ve got a conspiracy of my own now.

P.S. if you are thinking people are being defensive about prime in this thread then I’d believe you are very wrong. If anyone is being defensive it’s likely because our acquaintances on this forum have practically been called liers and no matter how many people say one side of the debate, you don’t seem to acknowledge it at all. So it’s not unlikely people will be a little defensive when it seems like you are calling us liers when we haven’t even done what you’ve suspect (even if some have, not all of us have).
May I use a photo of your betta on the Purple Meals Website (this is real , I wouldn't atually make money.) Dm me if interested/ or concerned

Vijay

For the love of god, someone say something negative about Prime please. There has gotta be someone!

I am still very sure that I don't really care. It's just that you want to believe that there are no marketers here when veterans and mods themselves have agreed that there could be. What's the need to be so self righteous? my god.

bizaliz3

Vijay said:
For the love of god, someone say something negative about Prime please. There has gotta be someone!
It smells gross.

There, are you happy?

Vijay

bizaliz3 said:
It smells gross.

There, are you happy?
In such a large forum, there has to be at least one person who has used something other than Prime and found it useful. That's what I mean. There has to be at least one person who did not find Prime useful.

It's almost like a whole group of people are trying to bully others into liking Prime. Or else...

bizaliz3

Vijay said:
In such a large forum, there has to be at least one person who has used something other than Prime and found it useful. That's what I mean. There has to be at least one person who did not find Prime useful.
Dude. There is not a single dechlorinator on the market that isn't "useful". So you just make no sense. Whether you use Prime or not, you can't say it isn't useful.

I'm outta here!

Vijay

bizaliz3 said:
Dude. There is not a single dechlorinator on the market that isn't "useful". So you just make no sense. Whether you use Prime or not, you can't say it isn't useful.

I'm outta here!

I am talking in a comparative sense.

ValerieAdams

I used stresscoat! It did great. I haven't used my prime yet but I have it in case I get a spike in ammonia/nitrites. One of my local fish stores doesn't sell prime because they didn't like the smell? That's all I got

Wraithen

Ive used others when I couldnt use prime due to the fact that prime binds things that are sometimes useful. Prime also doesn't get along with tss+ very well.

Dawn Michele

I LOVE Prime so much I take a bath in it!!! LOL!!!! LOL!!!!

Vijay

ValerieAdams said:
I used stresscoat! It did great. I haven't used my prime yet but I have it in case I get a spike in ammonia/nitrites. One of my local fish stores doesn't sell prime because they didn't like the smell? That's all I got
Thanks.

Platylover

Vijay said:
So... this thread isn’t a debate or question or even really about having marketers, but a thread to bash Prime? Interesting.

Aqua Hands I’ll think about it and shoot you a pm in a little bit.

Vijay

Platylover said:
So... this thread isn’t a debate or question or even really about having marketers, but a thread to bash Prime? Interesting.

Aqua Hands I’ll think about it and shoot you a pm in a little bit.
You don't get my point. Sorry.

smee82

Vijay said:

It's almost like a whole group of people are trying to bully others into liking Prime. Or else...
You have completely ignored my previous post where I stated I used a cheaper dechlorinator and it was just as good as prime. You also have created another thread claiming that prime prevents melting in java ferns. Honestly I am begining to think you are just trying to cause trouble. Hopefully I am wrong and that is not your intentions.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom