Do you think the tank is too small?

Olivia Janae

So I have a 30 gallon planted tank with a handful of things in it. One of those things is a Pearl. It’s about 2.5 to 3 inches. He’s a big boy.
The thing is he pretty much stays in one corner all day unless he gets scared (see picture).
I’m wondering, do you think it’s a sign that he doesn’t have enough room?

Attachments

• 21DF5EEA-96C6-4EF4-AEA3-7AF054A355D8.jpeg
    21DF5EEA-96C6-4EF4-AEA3-7AF054A355D8.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 74CB1B82-F2D5-4040-9D48-77870FA891BE.jpeg
    74CB1B82-F2D5-4040-9D48-77870FA891BE.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 55

Turnkeyagenda24

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Bgreen82

Just out of curiosity, is that spot in the tank calm, smooth surface? Gourami like to have still surface water to come up and fill their labyrinth organ with air. My pearls definitely have a favorite area of the surface. 30g should be ok for a single pearl. His colors will tell you if he is comfortable usually, and he looks beautiful.

kansas

Do the other fish bully it?

Flyfisha

Are you asking for our opinion Olivia Janae ?
Its to small for my eyes.

If you think the fish looks a bit big at the moment and its still only 3/4 grown it will look even bigger soon. When it grows another inch.
It’s up to you to decide if it’s a look you enjoy.

Perhaps some floating plants would offer a more relaxed fish with something similar to were they are found in the wild?

We all want to see something different when we look at a fish tank. I have a little female betta as a centre piece fish in with green neons in our 32 gallon cube.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, Is there also a Dwarf Gourami in there with him? A good way to get another Gourami to stay in one corner is to have a male Dwarf Gourami with them.

Pearls are social fish, this could also be a reason for this behaviour.

Redshark1

In my opinion your Pearl Gourami looks very healthy and your aquarium is wonderfully complex and interesting. Having kept Pearl Gouramies myself several times I'd say on the face of it you have nothing to worry about. They do have a favourite spot and it is fine to keep one individual. Keeping pairs or two of the same sex or even other Gourami species does not always work out though it may be worth a try. If your gourami seems nervous you may be able to make some alterations that help such as placing the tank somewhere quiet or blacking out the back and sides. Very active tankmates may dissuade them from exploring, especially if they fin nip.

jinjerJOSH22

In my opinion your Pearl Gourami looks very healthy and your aquarium is wonderfully complex and interesting.
Just want to add I completely agree with this. Beautiful fish and beautiful tank.
it is fine to keep one individual
I really don't get this line of thinking though. Given how often when people talk about other social fish such as various Barbs, Tetra and Loaches keeping them in a group is a must but with Gourami it's viewed differently? I don't understand honestly.

Redshark1

You are allowed your opinion and may act accordingly.

I have kept many Angels and Gouramies and the most satisfying ownership experiences for me have been with single fish. Ideally I'd like to keep these in pairs but I have found that this usually hasn't led to a peaceful life for me or the fish (including tankmates) unlike with keeping groups of Tetras and Loaches.

You may disagree but I'm just giving my findings, opinions and experiences.

jinjerJOSH22

You are allowed your opinion and may act accordingly.

I have kept many Angels and Gouramies and the most satisfying ownership experiences for me have been with single fish.
Fair enough, it’s just something that often comes up and bugs me. :)
Ideally I'd like to keep these in pairs but I have found that this usually hasn't led to a peaceful life for me or the fish (including tankmates) unlike with keeping groups of Tetras and Loaches.
This is kind of my point, a pair isn’t a group there’s just not enough to spread social interactions around.

Personally I find this the same with other social fish, they are often too much for each other when kept in too few a number.

Redshark1

They are often too much for each other in a small space. I believe I have read that in nature pairs split up after breeding and go their separate ways for a while. They can't do that in most aquaria.

jinjerJOSH22

They are often too much for each other in a small space. I believe I have read that in nature pairs split up after breeding and go their separate ways for a while. They can't do that in most aquaria.
As far as I’m aware Gourami live in shoals for the most part and pair during the dry season, then continue living in a group afterwards.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Terrac0tta
Replies
Views
Loachland
Replies
Views
Alphafish98
  • Question
Replies