Do You Think She Is Pregnant

1. Mommabeanz Initiate Member

Do you think my dalmation molly is pregnant? Im going with a yes. How long do i wait to seperate her from my male if she is?

Attached Files:

2. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

She is. Is it just her and one other male? If so you'll want to get another female or two, to keep the male from stressing her too much and causing sickness, abortion of the fry, or possible death if he's really persistent. She doesn't need to be separated to give birth - if you wanted you could put her in a breeder to catch the fry, but trust me when I say you will be overrun with mollies very quickly if you don't let nature take its course. Give them a clump of moss to hide in and some will survive from each batch.

3. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Edit: apologies for the double post!

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Hornwort is better for breeding tanks. And yes, she is pregnant. I would move her to the birthing tank now. You can also let her give birth in the main tank if you dont care about fry being eaten.

5. Mommabeanz Initiate Member

Yeah its just her and an orange male! He is always pestering her. But she is forever going after him aswell LOL. I guess i should introduce a few more females ? And get moss? Or a birthing tank. How many fry do they usually have at once?

6. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Your birthing tank needs to be cycled so if you don't already have it, I would forego that for now. A breeder net or box will work in your current tank, you can get one at Walmart or a pet store. Honestly though, you could have anywhere from 10-20 to 50+ fry, and she can drop fry once a month. Please think hard about whether you really want all those babies. Some dense live plants of any kind, moss, hornwort, water sprite, anything, will shelter the fry enough that some will survive. It may seem cruel to leave them to fend for themselves, but it will be crueler in the long run to let them overpopulate and create an unhealthy environment.

7. Mommabeanz Initiate Member

That's very true! Thanks for all your help guys looks like ill just be getting some plants for the fry to hide And let nature happen!

8. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

You have to be really be careful with breeder boxes. They can cause miscarriage. I would recommend floating plants like Guppy Grass, Anarchis, or Hornwort.