Question Do you think its safe to move fish from 29g to 55g

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is day 15 since I started cycling my 55g tank. I added cycled media to jump start it from my two year old 29g. The aquasoil created 8+ ammonia at first and this was reduced by water changes and beneficial bacteria. Then the ammonia went to zero, and the nitrites and nitrates came up. I did a 70%+ water change twice adding more liquid ammonia each time for 2 to 4ppm. In one to two days each time the ammonia was gone with nitrite at 0.5, nitrates 20.
Yesterday I added more ammonia at 2-4ppm. Today it is down to 0.5 ammonia, 0.5 nitrite, 80+ nitrates.

So if I do a large water change to lower the nitrates today, do you think it will be safe to transfer my 2 year old cories (7 count) from the 29 to the 55.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes. Although your ammonia and nitrites did get completely processed in 24 hours, you have cycled your tank for way higher than the bioload for 7 cories. You should be just fine.

OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JettsPapa said:
It doesn't really matter now, but since you added cycled media you could have added fish at the start.
Thank You so much for your reply.

I felt it was not safe because the aquasoil was producing an absurd about of ammonia. After setting the tank up with my homemade aquasoil, two days later ammonia was off the chart, with an 8+. But that was over two weeks ago, now the ammonia is under control.

erinw347 said:
Yes. Although your ammonia and nitrites did get completely processed in 24 hours, you have cycled your tank for way higher than the bioload for 7 cories. You should be just fine.
Thank you so much for your reply.

I do have other fish in the 29g, but I want to wait before moving them over because some of them are algae eaters. I just didn't want to take a risk with my cories, I have had them for over two years now.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom