Do You Think I Can Do Cardinal Tetras ?

Discussion in 'Cardinal Tetra' started by Dechi, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +213
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I find them so beautiful and they’re my favorite schooling fish. I would love to buy a dozen of them but I’ve read they can be fragile and I want to make sure they would thrive in my tank before getting them. They are also expensive (about 5$ each) and hard to find around here.

Here are my tank details (I would not get them before 2-3 more weeks, so my tank is more stable).

Size : 45 gallons bow front (36x16x20)
    PH : 6.8 - 7.2 (6.8 most often)
    Temp : 77 F (1x 200 watts thermometer)
    Planted : about 45%
    Filter : Fluval 407
    Substrate : Flourite mixed with eco complete, 1 inch sand on top.

Fish :
    1 x nerite snail
    9 x neon tetras
    3 x rosy tetras
    1 x sherpae tetra (was supposed to be a rosy)
    3 x platies (1 male, 2 females)
    1 x SAE
    2 x otocinclus
    2 x panda corydoras

Thank you !

2. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Experience:
    1 year
    I can't see why not should be fine.

3. TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hey sorry if this is off topic but what do you think of your otocinclus? do they clean up algae well? Im considering buying some for my 55 gal. How many would you recommend getting also?

4. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +213
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They’re so small, you’d need a whole army for a 55 g ! They are good little workers but they can’t get rid of algae unless it’s a small tank.

Look at siamese algae eaters, they are wonderful ! And a lot bigger. You could get 2 or 3 for your tank.

5. TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    4 years
    I will look into that thank you! I thought of SAE but heard they get quite aggressive... But yes i think cardinal tetras would work in your tank.

6. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Experience:
    1 year
    Siamese algae eaters are great, they're good looking and do a great job super playful.

I think it's the Chinese Algae Eater that gets aggressive as it matures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2019
  7. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +497
    Experience:
    Just started
    That will be fine but somethings I suggest.
    1. More Rosy Tetras
    2. Get rid of the Serpae or Rosy Tetras.
    3. Get more Panda Cories

8. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +213
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I’ve never seen an aggressive SAE. Make sure you get the real one (crossocheilus siamensis,old name, or crossocheilus oblongus, new name). There are a few that look like it and even fish stores get them confused. The other ones aren’t half as good for algae.

Thank you for your reply.

About the rosys, I’m not crazy about them, I find them pale and I thought they would be more colored. Maybe I can ask the fish store for an exchange, ie a rosy for a serpae. I’ll buy more if there is too much bullying though.

The cories, yes, I will get more but I want to make sure first I don’t lose these ones. I’ve lost my bronze cories, probably because of too many water changes at the end of my cycle.

9. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    I can't say too much about their fragility, but you should always buy a few more than what you're planning for as 1 or 2 deaths is entirely possible within the first week. This isn't just for Cardinals, but most schooling and shoaling fish.

10. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +213
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good advice, I don’t know why I never did that. It’s true sometimes we can lose one or two, the more sickly ones.

Oh my, I checked online and it would cost me 89$, shipping included, for 14 cardinal tetras !

LFS sells them 5$ a piece, so about 80$ with tax but the owner says he doesn’t know if he can get some. I’ll ask him again when I’m ready, I’ll save ten bucks.

11. Patric

PatricNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Took me a long time to find really good looking Cardinals but all of a sudden, my favorite fish store here in Vegas had them in stock and they all had brilliant colors unlike the ones I had seen before that looked more washed out.

I have also read and heard from experts that Cardinals are less prone to diseases than Neons. I have both but will never buy anything but Cardinals in the future. They were $4 a piece by the way.

12. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +412
    Experience:
    4 years
    A cycled tank is not an established tank. I would wait six months... I waited (closer to 12 months) and have had them for over 2.5 yrs now. I had die off when I first got them (due to shipping stress and bad acclimation process... I now only do temp match, net them out and dump into tank.. no slow acclimation or drip acclimation for me anymore, haven't had any deaths since I started doing that), but the survivors stayed with me for over a year before slowing dying off (like one every few months). Still have 9 in my tank out of about 25 or so after 2.5 yrs.

Same thing with cories... Need to establish the tank with a whole ecosystem of bacteria not just nitrosonomas (Nitrogen cycle one) to keep substrate clean.

I would keep the current stock for now. Just my two cents...

13. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +213
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you, I was hoping to hear from someone who had experience buying a bunch of them.

I was planning to wait maybe 2 months. Maybe I’ll wait more. For now I’m still reflecting on what I really want the tank to be. I have to admit I find the platies fascinating. They’re easy fish but I never had them before. Maybe more of them instead of the cardinals.

My tank being only 36 inches long, I am afraid a big school of fish wouldn’t have very long to swim before they get to the end. Fishes like platies go everywhere, from top to bottom. It seems they might be happier in such a tank.

I’ll take my time. That’s the beauty of fish keeping. Time and patience.

14. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +412
    Experience:
    4 years
    Cardinals are beautiful but not all that interesting IMO. I find my endler guppies much more entertaining to watch. Plus having live fry appear one day to the next is always exciting.

Become a Fishlore Member