Do you think Aquarium light is good for your tank?

1. sophia2change Initiate Member

Hey guys, I need your advice: Do you think Aquarium light is good for your tank?
    Many thanks.

2. Firefly's Love Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I'm a little confused. Are you asking if an aquarium light is necessary? No. Or if it's bad for the fish. Nope, it's good for them to get some 'sun'. If it's adequate for plants? Usually not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;crWelcome to Fishlore. I think it is the best for me because I need to enjoy my hard work and investment. I like to kick back and enjoy the tank peacefully at night.:;cr

4. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore.
    lighting is for the most part for our enjoyment.
    but if you have live plants it becomes a necessity as plants need light to survive and flourish.
    myself, i enjoy the light for my pleasure.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

aye aye on that one!!

6. Easy Initiate Member

Welcome to fishlore. Yes the light is largely for our viewing pleasure. But is not bad for it in anyway unless left on for long periods.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I belive it also helps set a time cycle on the tank, hence my pleco knows when its time to come out and eat and my gold barbs know when its time to settle down.

8. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Not strictly necessary for most fish, but for a planted tank, not only is lighting essential, the correct type of lighting is essential.

9. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

agreed, different lighting for different plants ( WPG becomes very important at this point)

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The fish need light to synthesize vitamin D, so if they don't get natural light, they need an aquarium light.

11. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

How does a standard fluorescent light help do that? I know, for many reptiles at least, those are useless. They need special UV lighting.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You are right, UV does not penetrate water very well. I misquoted the article I read.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

With reptiles we must provide UV lighting for diurnal baskers and Calcium infused with D3 for nocturnal and crepcircular animals(relativley speaking, there are various exceptions).
    Didnt think this applied to fish very much, thought they could abosrbe calcium on their own/self synthesize D/D3

14. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Crepcircular?

I suspect (at least most) fish don't depend on the sun for D3, given that the water would block much of it. I'm sure they have other means as well.

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

-_- me and my spelling are not going to survive in this world.

crepuscular*

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The article says they get it from their diet.

17. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Well now we know :)

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

The information below comes from Aquarium Fish International Magazine, May 2012, Page 74 "Lighting Can Impact the Health Of Your Fish"...by Mark A. Mitchell, D.V.M, Ph.D..

"Light is essential to all life. At some level, even if you live in a cave (I didn't want to leave out the blind cavefish), light influences the system. Vertebrates, invertebrates and plants derive several major benefits from the sun. When I evaluate lighting for these different groups, I like to think in terms of the three primary spectrums of light: ultraviolet, visible and infrared. All living creatures benefit at some level from these different spectra."

It goes on to explain the different spectra but I won't type all of that out. Continuing...

" Light is an important consideration when keeping fish. It can affect the overall quality of life for the fish (e.g., too much equals stress), your success with live plants (e.g.,quality and quantity can affect plant health) and even affect overall water quality (e.g.,too much equals an overgrowth of phytoplankton). Even light duration can affect the fish (light should be limited to natural light cycles, which for most fish would be 12 to 14 hours). Taking a little time to research the lighting needs for your system can go a long way regarding the long-term success and experience you have as an aquarist."

Ken

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I can deffinetly agree with that! Also to be mentioned, light does help grow plants and plants help relive stress on fish which means in a secondhand way they do help the fish very much, not to mention lighting can effect color of the fish.