Do you think adding crushed sea shells will help?

1. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Hello I was wondering if adding crushed sea shell can help keep the calcium lvl in my 10 gallon stay safe for my snails. I have a boiled cuttled bone and crushed egg shells already in the tank and I feed kale,beet greens,spinach,flaked food,sun dried brine shrimp,algae wafers, shrimp pellets,blueberries,garlic,apple and strawberries(yes they love them)(NOT ALL AT ONCE) and my readings are as flows
    Temp 77
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrates 15 ppm
    ph 7.5
    and have to get another GH/kh test due to cats deciding it was a play toy and knock it into my trash can and boyfriend throwing it out. But my last reading two days ago where
    GH 150
    KH 85

So should I or should I not add the crushed sea shells. Thanks for reading.

2. Daac Well Known Member Member

They will raise the calcium and will help buffer the tank too. They are helpful in my opinion unless you need acidic water. They really can't hurt though... unless like I said you need acidic water.

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

What sort of snails?

Are you testing calcium levels? Personally I don't dose/supplement anything I don't test. If I think I have a deficiency, I get a test kit for that element.

Adding crushed coral will, by nature, increase your KH, which will also increase pH.

Depedning on what snails they are, there may be no benefit to increasing Calcium levels.

At your current KH levels, I would think you should be fine (most KH is a measure of CaCO3, or more commonly, Calcium Carbonates)

I'll let others with snails comment further, but certainly, I would verify your levels before deciding on whether to dose/supplement your tank.
  4. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

MS and soon to be MTS and their tank mates are 1 female guppy(soon to be fry) and 3 ghost shrimp so the highest I can go in ph is 7.8. I am just looking to keep my lvls safe my MS has fixed it shell since coming into my tank (IT HAD A HOLE AND 4 CRACKS ALL ARE HEALING NOW) from the LFS.